Document Actions



Please see our new
Students Guide video!

Applying to Hunter

The First Step

The first step to becoming an international student is to review the Hunter College admission requirements and file a CUNY application for the semester you wish to attend. Please visit the Welcome Center  to learn more about the Hunter College undergraduate and graduate admissions criteria, as well as application deadlines and academic programs.

Prospective Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students can apply for admission to Hunter College as Freshmen (First Year) or Transfer students. The term "Freshmen" or "First Year" refers to students that have not attended any college in the U.S. or abroad. "Transfer" students are those that have attended college previously, even for one semester.

To apply as an undergraduate

  • You must log on to the website and create a user account.
  • Next, you must complete the online application and send it with your payment to the University Application Processing Center (UAPC).
  • You must also send UAPC official copies of your TOEFL test scores and your school transcripts (grades). You can mail your school transcripts to the University Application Processing Center: P.O. Box 350136 (for Freshman) and P.O. Box 359023 (for Transfer students); Brooklyn, NY 11235-9022.

To check on the status of your application, you can call (212) 997-2869, email the University Admissions office at, or visit the CUNY Admissions Office, located at 217 E. 42nd Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenue, New-York, NY 10017-5706 (Located on the ground floor)

Prospective Graduate Students

Graduate Students who have completed their undergraduate studies in the U.S. or abroad can apply directly to Hunter College for admissions. Please visit the Graduate Admissions website for information on the process of your admission and to file your application. Once you complete the application, you may submit it with the supporting documents by mail or in person to the Hunter College Admissions Office, located in Room 203 Hunter North Building.


The Next Step

After you have been admitted into an academic program, the next step to studying in the United States is to apply for the appropriate visa at the American Embassy or Consulate in your country.

Most international students study in the U.S. with an F-1 (Student) Visa. However, the J-1 (Exchange Visitor) Visa is also available for international students who would like to study in a U.S. college or university for one or two semesters.

To learn more about the specific requirements for the J-1 Visa, click here.

The American Consulate requires that international students who apply for the F-1 Visa must show proof of financial support in order to study in the U.S.

Click here for the Certificate of Eligibility (SEVIS I-20) application and instructions for Admitted Undergraduate Students

Click here for the Certificate of Eligibility (SEVIS I-20) application and instructions for Admitted Graduate Students

We strongly encourage you to contact the International Students Office once you receive your acceptance notification from Hunter College so that our staff can help you with your request for the SEVIS Form I-20.





contact us

212.772.4864 | f: 212.650.3147
Rooms 1108/1109 East Building, 695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065

International Students Guide Video

« July 2018 »
Go to full calendar…

The Hunter Gatherer

Upcoming events sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs