Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home » Student Services » Student Veteran Services » GETTING STARTED-SUB » GETTING STARTED: How to Apply for Benefits
Document Actions

GETTING STARTED: How to Apply for Benefits


All students, regardless of what benefits they think they may be eligible for, should complete two forms:  the Federal form Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available online and an application for New York State Tuition Assistance Program or TAPWhen filling out the FAFSA online, be sure to click on the New York State residents link to complete the TAP application online as well as the CUNY supplement.

New students at Hunter College who have not used any VA educational assistance programs should begin the process by applying for Education benefits online using the VA VON-APP system.

Reservists who have not used any of their Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve Educational Assistance (Chapter 1606) benefits will need the original form.

Dependents who have not received Dependents' Educational Assistance Benefits Chapter 35, will need to apply using VA Form 22-5490 or provide a previously issued Certificate of Eligibility.

Transfer students who have received VA educational assistance benefits at other institutions of higher education only need to complete a VA 22-1995 Change in Place of Training Form.

Continuing students can be certified for benefits each semester as soon as they have registered and have notified the Certifying Official.

Disabled veterans are eligible for considerable financial help when they apply for Vocational Rehabilitation at the Department of Veterans Affairs. You must have a VA certified disability rating of at least 20 percent. You will receive authorization directly from the VA. You need to bring this authorization to the Hunter College Certifying Official, and s/he will notify the VA that you are enrolled and in attendance at the College.

Paper Forms
Veteran's Educational application forms are available at all VA offices, active duty stations, American embassies and Hunter College’s Veterans’ Services. In New York City, the Department of Veteran Affairs is located at 245 W. Houston Street, New York, NY 10014. Completed forms are to be submitted to the Hunter College Certifying Official.

Tuition Deferment
A tuition-only deferral will be processed for veterans who are certified for veteran's benefits by the Certifying Official at their college. Application must be made prior to the start of each semester in lieu of bill payment. All non-tuition fees must be paid at the time payment is due. Veterans are responsible for the payment of tuition whether they have received U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs benefits or not. Students who have received a veteran's deferment and have not cleared their debt will be prevented from registering for the following semester and will have a hold placed on their records. Contact your Certifying Official if you need to request a tuition deferral.