PROVISIONS & PROCEDURES FOR VETERANS: CUNY Veteran Policies
CUNY Policy on Veterans' Admission, Registration, Grades and Tuition
The following policies apply to students who leave CUNY to fulfill military obligations. Military personnel for whom these provisions apply must register each semester with the Veterans Affairs representative.
Students Called Up to the Reserves or Drafted Before the End of the Semester
- Grades: In order to obtain a grade, a student must attend 13 weeks (five weeks for summer session).
- Refunds: A student called up to the reserves or drafted who does not attend for a sufficient time to qualify for a grade is entitled to a 100% refund of tuition and all other fees except application fees. Click here for important information about Course Withdrawals and Deletions and financial aid implications.
Students Who Volunteer (Enlist) for the Military
- Grades: Same provision as for students called up to the reserves. In order to obtain a grade, a student must attend 13 weeks (five weeks for summer session).
- Refunds: The amount of the refund depends upon whether the withdrawal is before the 5th week of classes.
- Withdrawal before the beginning of the 5th calendar week (3rd calendar week for summer session): 100% refund of tuition and all other fees except application fees.
- Withdrawal thereafter: 50% refund.
Other Provisions for Military Service
- Resident Tuition Rates: These lower rates are applicable to all members of the armed services, their spouses and their dependant children, on full-time active duty and stationed in the State of New York.
- Re-enrollment of Veterans: Veterans who are returning students are given preferred treatment in the following ways:
- Veterans who were former students with unsatisfactory scholastic records, may be readmitted with a probationary program.
- Veterans, upon their return, may register even after normal registration periods, without late fees.
- Granting of college credit for military services and armed forces instructional courses.
- Veterans returning too late to register may audit classes without charge.
- Late Admissions: Veterans with no previous college experience are permitted to file applications up to the date of registration and are allowed to begin classes pending completion of their application and provision of supporting documents.
- Readmission Fee: Upon return from military services, a student wil not be charged a Readmission Fee to register at the same college.
- Veterans Tuition Deferrals: Veterans are entitled to defer the payment of tuition pending receipt of veterans' benefits.
- New York National Guard Tuition Waivers: Active members of the New York National Guard, who are legal residents of New York State and who do not have a baccalaureate degree, are eligible for a tuition waiver for undergraduate study.