Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Theatre Graduate Programs Master’s Program in Theatre

Master’s Program in Theatre


The Hunter College Master of Arts in Theatre offers the opportunity to study theatre history, theory, dramaturgy, playwriting, and directing within the vibrant theatre environment of New York City. Hunter’s comprehensive graduate program in theatre arts combines scholarly and practical training, which students can tailor to their own needs and complete at their own pace.

Members of our graduate faculty all possess both academic and professional training and experience. They specialize in such diverse areas as acting, theatre history, performance theory, Asian theatre, African American theatre, French and German theatre, avant-garde theatre, political theatre, mime, and puppetry. The Harold Clurman Professorship allows us to supplement the regular faculty by bringing in an extraordinary lineup of visiting professors from the professional world to teach graduate seminars. In the past, seminars have been taught by Arthur Kopit, Eric Bentley, Arthur Miller, Ruby Dee, and Stanley Kauffmann among others. Hunter playwrights, the practical unit of our program, is headed by noted playwright Tina Howe and helps playwriting students develop their scripts through readings and workshop productions.

The program has access to four theatre spaces: the 110-seat Black Box Loewe Theatre, the 624-seat Kaye Playhouse, the 50-seat Goldberg Studio Theatre, and the 150-seat Lang Recital Hall. Our  student body is a diverse group that includes teachers, theatre professionals, writers, and recent college graduates from around the world. Several of our faculty teach in the Ph.D. program at the CUNY Graduate Center and some courses are crosslisted in both programs. As the Graduate Center does not offer an MA degree, students often prefer to begin their graduate theatre studies at Hunter, where they can hone their academic skills in a supportive environment. Students who go on to pursue the Ph.D. at CUNY have all 30 of their Hunter credits applied automatically toward the completion of the program.

Fellowships and Graduate Assistantships
We provide funding for some of our students through the Vera Roberts Fellowship, awarded to the top incoming graduate student based on the academic record presented for admission and through the John Golden award, which provides both $1000 and smaller grants to students each year. The Zarkower Fund is another $1000 endowment for playwriting by graduates of our program. The department has one graduate assistantship to aid with program administration. Students must complete at least one semester of coursework before receiving teaching positions.

Admissions Requirements
Closing dates for completed applications:
April 1st: Fall enrollment.
November 1st: Spring enrollments.

An applicant is expected to have a Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university with:
1. An overall minimum “B minus” average.
2. A minimum “B” average in student’s area of specialization

Applications can be downloaded online at 

For Graduate courses and requirements please visit the Graduate Admissions website or go to


When are classes given?
Most classes are held Monday through Thursday evenings starting at 5:30 PM.

How long will it take me to finish my M.A. Degree?
Students take varying amounts of time to complete their degrees depending on their life circumstances.  Family and work commitments and personal finances determine how many courses a student will take each semester.  Most students complete their degrees within 18 months to 3 years.  We try to be flexible enough to accommodate individual needs.

Can I transfer credits earned in other institutions?
You may transfer up to 9 credits of graduate coursework with the approval of the graduate advisor.

How large are the classes?
All graduate classes are seminars and usually have between 10 and 15 students.   

Can I enter the program on a trial basis?
You may enter the program as a non-matriculated student without filing a formal application. You need only bring proof of an undergraduate degree to the graduate admissions office. You may take up to 3 classes as a non-matriculated student which can be automatically applied to your degree should you matriculate.

What are the procedures for the thesis proposal and graduation?

Back to top

Back to Department of Theatre homepage

Document Actions
Theatre website feedback:
North Building Room 522
(212) 772-5149 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065