About SafeAssign and Turnitin
What is SafeAssign and Turnitin?
SafeAssign and Turnitin are tools that can serve as a deterrent to plagiarism and as a way to educate students about the appropriate use of sources in writing and research. Both Turnitin and SafeAssign are fully integrated into CUNY Blackboard and work as follows:
- Instructors create Turnitin assignments or SafeAssignments in their Blackboard courses. Both can be accessed from the "Assessments" drop-down menu, but the procedure for each tool varies slightly. Visit Blackboard Resources for Faculty for specific guides on how to create a SafeAssignment or a Turnitin assignment.
- After student papers are submitted, they are checked against multiple databases for content that appears elsewhere. The databases include Internet pages, periodicals, and student paper archives.
- An originality report is then generated highlighting the text in the student paper that matches text found in sources contained in the databases. An instructor can view this report in Blackboard and allow students to view their reports.
While both tools are convenient to use, Turnitin has a greater advantage of scale due to its larger number of subscribers and the scope of its database. See SafeAssign vs. Turnitin for a detailed comparison of these tools and Things to Consider for some questions to think about if you plan to incorporate these tools in your classes.
How can SafeAssign and Turnitin enhance teaching and learning?
- Allows you to check your student's paper for improper citation or potential plagiarism.
- Creates an opportunity for you to discuss academic integrity issues.
- Helps you identify students with potential writing problems for referral to the Writing Center.
- Helps you collect different examples of well-documented papers and examples of improperly cited or paraphrased passages to help explain your interpretation of sample reports.
- Allows students to view their report to learn more about proper use of citations.
How do I get started with SafeAssign and Turnitin?
The resources at Hunter
- The Blackboard Resources for Faculty page has step-by-step guides for using these tools in Blackboard.
- The Technology Resource Center offers workshops on and walk-in support. They can also provide technical assistance with Turnitin and SafeAssign.
- An educational technologist can help you select the appropriate tool for your needs.