Non-Degree Admission


Students who are not interested in earning a degree but wish to enroll in college credit bearing courses relating to career advancement, preparation for graduate school or other special interests may be admitted as non-degree students. Non-degree students are part-time students, can register for no more than a total of twenty-four credits and DO NOT qualify for financial aid.

Admission Criteria

High School Graduates and Visiting Students from Non-CUNY Colleges*
Students who do not intend to apply for a bachelor’s degree but wish to take credit bearing undergraduate courses may apply and take up to 24 credits in a non-degree status. Students applying for non-degree status must submit proof of high school graduation or the General Education Development Diploma (GED). If you are a visiting student from another college, you can present a student college transcript showing at least 24 earned college credits. (*If you are presenting educational credentials in a language other than English, you must also supply official translations).

Post-Baccalaureate Students*
Students who have completed the bachelor's degree or higher who wish to take undergraduate courses may do so. Applicants must verify evidence of prior education by submitting either a copy of their college degree or a final transcript stating degree and date received to the Office of Admissions. (*If you are presenting educational credentials in a language other than English, you must also supply official translations).

High School Seniors
Qualified High School students may register as non-degree students while continuing their high school studies with the written approval of their high school principal.

Senior Citizens
Applicants who are applying to the Senior Citizen Program pay no tuition for undergraduate courses. There is a $65.00 General Fee that will be charged at the time of registration each semester. Senior Citizens are also responsible for the $15.00 Consolidated Services Fee. All Senior Citizen applicants must be New York State residents and must submit verification of attaining the age of 60. The following forms of proof of age will be acceptable for admission: 1) Medicaid Card 2) Driver’s License 3) Birth Certificate 4) U.S. Passport

How to Apply


To apply, click the link below to complete Non-Degree Online Application.

Application for Non-Degree Admission→

Establishing New York State Residency

In general, to qualify for the NYS resident tuition rate based on residence in the State of New York, a student must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or in a qualifying immigration status (see section below regarding qualifying immigration statuses); AND
  • Have continuously maintained his/her principal place of abode in the State of New York for a period of at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes; AND
  • Have a bona fide intention of living in New York permanently.

For more detailed information on City University of New York regulations regarding establishing New York State residency, please view or download CUNY's Tuition and Fee Manual: Residency. You can also  download the Residency form for submission to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Recruitment.

Application Deadlines

  • Fall Semester: May 1
  • Winter Session: October 1
  • Spring Semester: November 1
  • Summer Session: March 15

(All above deadlines are subject to change without notice. Applications received after the deadlines will be considered based on space availability.)

Frequently Asked Questions

Will I be able to transfer the courses I take as a Non-Degree?
All Hunter Non-Degree courses are full accredited.

How can I receive a copy of my Hunter transcript?
You can request a copy of your transcript by online here, or you can stop by the OASIS in person. Their office is located in the North building, Room 217.

What are the drawbacks registering as a Non-Degree student?
As a Non-Degree student, registration takes place after degree students have registered. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid.

Document Actions
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065