You are here: Home Welcome Center Admission Information Senior Citizen (Auditor) Admission

Senior Citizen (Auditor) Admission

If you are applying for the first time, complete the On-line Non-degree application.

If you have taken courses before and would like to return, Download the Readmission application.


New York State residents 60 years of age or older may audit undergraduate courses at Hunter College on a tuition-free, space-available basis. Auditors do not receive grades or academic credit for their courses. There is a $65.00 General Fee that will be charged at the time of registration each semester/session (note: winter sessions are not available for auditors). Senior Citizens are also responsible for the $15.00 Consolidated Services Fee. Along with verification of age and New York State residency, applicants must file the undergraduate non-degree application to be considered for this program. Individuals over the age of 60, who do not wish to audit their courses, may receive academic credit provided the appropriate tuition is paid.

Admission Criteria

All Senior Citizen applicants must be New York State residents and must submit verification of age. The following forms of proof of age will be acceptable for admission: 1) Medicaid Card 2) Driver’s License 3) Birth Certificate 4) U.S. Passport

How to Apply

To apply to as a new senior citizen, you need to fill out a Non-Degree application. If you need help in filling out the application, please visit the Senior Citizens Student Association located in the North Building on the Commons Level, Rm. 117.

Establishing New York State Residency

In general, to qualify for the NYS resident tuition rate based on residence in the State of New York, a student must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or in a qualifying immigration status (see section below regarding qualifying immigration statuses); AND
  • Have continuously maintained his/her principal place of abode in the State of New York for a period of at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes; AND
  • Have a bona fide intention of living in New York permanently.

For more detailed information on City University of New York regulations regarding establishing New York State residency, please view or download CUNY's Tuition and Fee Manual: Residency. You can also  download the Residency form for submission to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Recruitment.

Application Deadlines

  • Fall: May 1
  • Summer: March 15
  • Spring: November 1

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I receive a grade for the courses registered?

No. All courses registered as a senior citizen are audited.

How can I receive a copy of my Hunter transcript?

You can request a copy of your transcript online, or you can go in person to OASIS, located in the North Building, Room 217.

Document Actions
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065