Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home » Visitors Center » Frequently Asked Questions
Document Actions

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I access Thomas Hunter Hall?
Thomas Hunter Hall will be accessible from Lexington Avenue by swiping your OneCard. Access from the third floor crosswalk will remain unchanged. However, the North Building first floor lobby at the Danny Kaye Playhouse will now serve as an exit only.

Does my child need a pass to get into the Children's Learning Center?
No. Parents or guardians who are escorting their child to the Children's Learning Center do not need to obtain a day pass for their child. However, the parent/guardian does need to have a valid OneCard or day pass to enter the North Building.

What happens if I don’t have my OneCard (Hunter College ID card)?
A Visitors Center Associate at the Visitors Center in the West Building Lobby will allow you to enter after verifying your status through an online database. You may be asked to show another form of identification. There is a limit to the amount of times that this is permitted.

Where can I obtain a new or replacement OneCard?
The OneCard Office is located in Room 203 in the West Building on Hunter's 68th Street Campus. The office is open Monday and Thursday from 9:00 am to 6:30 pm, and on Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.

How much will it cost to replace a card?
Malfunctioning cards in good condition may be replaced at no cost. Visibly damaged cards or lost cards will cost $10 to replace.

How will my  relatives be able to meet me on campus?
Visitors must obtain a guest ID card at the Visitors Center in the West Lobby. Visitors will be asked to show another form of identification. When possible, Hunter students or staff should provide advance notice of guests to the Department of Public Safety. There will also be an online visitor registration system.

My OneCard doesn’t let me through, no matter how many times I swipe. Now what?
The Visitors Center will issue a day-pass. At your earliest convenience, stop by the OneCard office in Room 203 West, where a staff member will help you resolve the issue.

I’m collaborating on a project with a friend who attends another CUNY school. Will his/her college ID work at Hunter?
No. However, semester passes may be issued to non-Hunter students and faculty who obtain written permission from a department chair or equivalent.

In the case of fire or other emergency, won’t the entry devices impede evacuation?
The mechanical devices are programmed to unlock themselves in emergencies, and all metal bars will be dropped. Public Safety officers will be on hand to assist.

Is there a minimum amount of time I must wait between swipes?
No. The entry system is not timed in any way. With a valid OneCard, you may enter at any designated location during ordinary college hours.

« September 2021 »


All entrances to the 68th Street campus are now equipped with turnstiles or scanners that operate with the Hunter OneCard. One swipe gives you access to the campus. The new system is easy and convenient, but it does require everyone’s cooperation. For more information, please read through our new Campus Security Guidelines.