Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Office of AccessABILITY Students Conditions

About Disabilities

A person with a disability may have:

  1. a physical or psychological condition which substantially limits one of his/her major life activities, including walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working;
  2. a record of such impairment;
  3. or is regarded as having such impairment

Disabilities include but may not be limited to:

(Click on the links above for more information about specific disabilities.)

Frequently Asked Questions

I have a disability. Where should I go to receive service?

Support is available for students with disabilities who are registered with the Office of AccessABILITY, located in room 1214B, East building. Please call (212) 772-4857, or email us at

How do I register as a student with disabilities?

To register with the Office of AccessABILITY, bring your medical or psychological documentation (dated within the last five years) to 1214B East Building and make an appointment for an initial interview with our intake counselor. The counselor may request additional documentation if the documentation provided is inadequate, and will offer guidance about securing needed documentation.

Will my information be kept confidential?

Information and documentation of your disability is held in confidence by our office. Your disability is not indicated on your college transcript.

What if I think I have a disability but I don't have any documentation, or my documentation is old?

You may come to the Office of AccessABILITY, 1214B East Building, and ask to speak to a disability specialist to discuss your situation. If needed, the counselor will offer guidance about securing needed documentation.

As a student with a disability, is there anywhere on campus I can network, study or use specialized technology?

Yes! The Access & Technology Center (A&TC) in Room 300, North Building. The A&TC is a place to study, attend specialized workshops, socialize and relax. In the adjacent room, the Center provides assistive technology designed for students with disabilities. Training seminars and tutorials are also available by appointment and are free of charge.

Should you have any questions regarding the A&TC, you may call (212) 772-5478, email us at or visit the center located in Room 300, North Building.

May a student with a learning disability be exempt from a foreign language?

Students with a learning disability can petition for a waiver. The decision to approve a waiver is made on a case-by-case basis, and substitute courses are required. Speak with one of our counselors for additional information.

May a student with a disability register for a reduced course load and still qualify for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)?

A typical course load at Hunter is 12 credits per semester (usually four courses). However, students registered with the Office of AccessABILITY may take as few as 6 credits per semester and still qualify for partial TAP award.

Click here for more information on how to deal with certain areas of difficulty.

Should you have any questions, please call us at (212) 772-4857, email, or visit our office in 1214B, East building.


Document Actions
« June 2022 »
Office of AccessABILITY website feedback:
Room 1214B, East Building, 695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065
(212) 772-4857 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065