Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Education Abroad Apply CUNY


We are available to advise students in person and online! To speak with an advisor about studying abroad, make an appointment.

The Office of Education Abroad does not administer the following programs. However, Hunter students may study abroad on programs offered by any other CUNY college. We encourage you to review the opportunities they offer.


Before You Go

Step 1:

Choose a program. Search for CUNY programs here.


Step 2:

Review our general eligibility requirements, and then submit the Online Application Form. You should also check that you meet the eligibility requirements for your chosen program.

Have the following documents ready to upload with your online application:

  • Personal statement (250-500 words) describing: How will study abroad contribute to your academic or professional goals and how will you engage with the local community abroad? You may use the same statement you plan to submit for your program application.
  • A copy of your transcript (can be unofficial and pulled from CUNYFIRST as long as your name is printed on it).
  • Scan of the photo page of your passport. We require a copy of your valid passport before you go abroad. If you are in the process of applying for or rewewing your passport, you may submit the Online Application Form without this; however, you must be prepared to email a scan of your new passport as soon as you receive it.

After you have been approved to study abroad, you will receive an email from the Office of Education Abroad within 5-7 business days.

Proceed with your program application (Step 3) AFTER you receive approval from the Office of Education Abroad.

Step 3:

Submit your program application via the host CUNY school. Please check directly with your host school's study abroad office for application deadlines and requirements as well as any questions you may have about the application process or program.


Step 4:


Submit the following documents using our Post-Acceptance Form. You will need to submit all information at the same time.

  1. Copy of your program acceptance letter.
  2. SPARC* Training Completion Certificate.
    You will need to self-enroll and complete the training in BlackBoard.
    If the training is not available for enrollment in your Blackboard account, please email
    Save or "print" your certificate as a PDF for upload.
    Learn more about SPARC training
    * Sexual and Interpersonal Violence Prevention and Response Course


Step 5:


You must complete both at the same time.

Deadlines for Submitting Both Course Approval and Epermits:

  • FALL programs abroad due MAY 1
  • WINTER programs abroad due NOVEMBER 15
  • SPRING programs abroad due NOVEMBER 15
  • SUMMER programs abroad due APRIL 15

All of your courses abroad need academic department approvals in order for you to receive credit towards your Hunter degree.

Course Approvals

Use the course approval form to get the courses you plan to take abroad approved as equivalent Hunter courses.

Step 1: Visit department advisor(s) for course equivalency approval. If you have options for more than one course, we highly suggest getting additional/backup courses choices approved.

Step 2: Visit assigned advisor (or MHC or SEEK); assigned advisor indicates if equivalent course(s) fit in your degree plan and signs the course equivalency form.

Step 3: Make a copy of your course equivalency form(s) for yourself and submit the ORIGINAL course equivalency form(s) to the Office of Education Abroad.

The office of education abroad cannot approve your epermit until we receive your complete course approval form.



You must submit an EPERMIT to be registered for the course(s) abroad you are taking as part of the program.

→ IMPORTANT: You will submit your ePermit for STABD credits, NOT for a specific academic course code. STABD credits are placeholder credits for study abroad. You should request the number of credits you are taking abroad as STABD credits at both your home campus (Hunter) and your host campus (the CUNY offering the study abroad program). Check with the host CUNY's study abroad office to confirm the correct STABD code for the host campus/program.

Submit your ePermit using CUNYfirst.

  1. Log in and go to the Student Center
  2. Select ePermit from the drop-down menu there.
  3. Choose the term/semester when you will be studying abroad and select "add ePermit."
  4. The "add ePermit" option will allow you to search for STABD credits. The option to add ePermit with equivalent courses will not allow this search, so make sure you select "add ePermit."
  5. Check the status of your ePermit to confirm that it has been processed and approved. You can do this by following the above steps, and then searching ePermit instead of adding.
  6. Do not assume your ePermit registration is complete simply because you submitted it!
  7. Once your ePermit is approved, you will be able to pay tuition for your credits through the Hunter Bursar Office.Make sure you submit all required documents and payments and follow all instructions from the host CUNY about your program abroad.


If You Need Assistance

If you're having problems with any of the above steps, inform an advisor in the Education Abroad office right away. DON'T WAIT! We can help you come up with a solution only if we know there's a problem.


While You're Abroad:

You must inform the Education Abroad office IMMEDIATELY if you change any of your courses while you're abroad. You then MUST get your new course(s) approved immediately:

Step 1: Download the course approval form and fill in the student sections of pages 1 and 2, making sure to sign both pages. Fill in columns 1, 2, and 3 with the information for the new course(s) you need to have approved.

Step 2: Email an advisor in each department from which you need an approval and cc the Office of Education Abroad. Provide the course name and syllabus you need approved and an attachment of the course approval form you have filled in. 

Step 3: The advisor can either fill in columns 4-7 of the form and send it back as a scan, OR state in the email the Hunter equivalent course code and number of credits you will receive at Hunter. 

Step 4: Forward approval email(s) to your assigned advisor (keeping Ed Abroad copied) so they can determine if new equivalent course(s) are applicable to your degree. They too should either fill in columns 8 and 9 of the form and send it back as a scan, OR state in the email if the Hunter equivalent course(s) is applicable to your degree. 

ALL EMAILS MUST COME FROM HUNTER EMAIL ADDRESSES. Use your myHunter email address and make sure you email the professor/advisor at their Hunter email address as well. Electronic approvals are only valid if Hunter email addresses are used.


After You Return:

(1)  Check your CUNYfirst account to see when the host CUNY campus posts your course(s)/grade(s) for your program abroad. Once grades are posted, inform Hunter's Education Abroad Office. We can then proceed with your course transfer.

(2)  The Education Abroad Office will submit your course approval form to the Registrar's office. At that time, your approved equivalent Hunter course(s) will appear on your Hunter record. Check CUNYfirst to make sure the equivalent course(s) have posted.

All paperwork must be submitted and equivalent courses posted to your Hunter record by the conclusion of the semester following your semester abroad (i.e. courses from Spring programs must be posted by the end of the Summer semester, courses from Summer programs must be posted by the end of the Fall semester, and courses from Fall and Winter programs must be posted by the end of the Spring semester).

Failure to follow the above procedures in a timely manner may result in the loss of financial aid, your ability to go abroad, and graduate!



  • You will only receive credits for a course if the converted grade is C or above.
  • Letter grades will appear on your Hunter transcript, but will not count towards the Hunter GPA.
  • If your grades convert to below C (C- to F), they will appear on your Hunter transcript as F.
  • Courses taken as Pass/Fail will not transfer.


Financial Aid

If you receive financial aid or scholarships at Hunter, it is your responsibility to speak with a Financial Aid Advisor or your scholarship provider to discuss how your study abroad may affect your financial aid or scholarships.


Document Actions
Education Abroad website feedback:
Office of Education Abroad, Room E1447
(212) 772-4983 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065