Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Education Abroad Apply Student Eligibility

Student Eligibility

All Hunter students applying to study abroad, regardless of program, MUST complete the Hunter Study Abroad Application.

Undergraduate students must also attend a Study Abroad 101 session (virtual or in-person) or watch our recorded session prior to completing the application to study abroad. Please see website for dates and times, or email us to receive the link to the recording.


Eligibility Requirements to Study Abroad

In order to participate in a study abroad program at Hunter, students must:

  • Be at least 18 years old at the time of application and enrolled in a degree granting institution (at Hunter, CUNY, or in the U.S.)
  • Have completed at least two semesters of college-level study (with a minimum of 6 completed credits at the time of application).
  • Possess a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale.
  • Be applying credits earned toward a degree.
  • Be in good academic standing from the time of application until the start of their term abroad. Students on academic warning are not eligible to participate.
  • Be in good disciplinary standing at the start of their term abroad.
  • Have a valid passport. We require a copy of your valid passport before you go abroad. If you are in the process of applying for or rewewing your passport, you may begin your application; however, you must be prepared to submit a scan of your new passport as soon as you receive it.
  • COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: As per CUNY policy, students studying abroad must have obtained at least the initial series of COVID-19 vaccinations. Via CUNY, "Medical exemptions and religious exceptions can be accepted in lieu of vaccination for participation in exchange and affiliated programs, but not for participation in CUNY-sponsored faculty-led programs."
  • GPA and credit requirements may vary according to different program requirements. Please check the requirements for your program of interest on our program pages.
  • Please inquire with the Office of Education Abroad before submitting an application if this is your FIRST or LAST semester at Hunter as special requirements may apply. We do not recommend that students study abroad in their final semester.


Please see below for additional requirements based on your student status:

Hunter Students | CUNY Students | Non-CUNY Students | International Students

Hunter Students

Hunter College students may participate in our Short-term programs and Semester-long exchanges.

In addition, Hunter College students may also attend programs offered by the providers below. You must contact the specific organization directly for their application information. If you are accepted, please visit the Hunter Office of Education Abroad for further instructions.

IMPORTANT: The following students need to check with the Education Abroad office before applying:

  • Students in their first semester at Hunter College
  • Students in their last semester at Hunter College
  • Students who want to study abroad more than 2 semesters in a row
  • Students who were not enrolled at Hunter during the previous semester

CUNY Students

Students from other CUNY colleges may participate in most short-term programs offered by the Office of Education Abroad at Hunter College.

Review this checklist:

  • If you intend to apply to a Hunter program, let your school know.
  • Apply to the Hunter Study Abroad program of your choice.
  • Complete the e-permit (see CUNYfirst E-Permit Instructions).
  • Pay the program fee to the Hunter Office of Education Abroad.
  • Pay tuition to the Bursar at your CUNY college.

Non-CUNY Students

Our short-term faculty-led programs are sometimes open to non-CUNY students. When applicable, these students are welcome to apply to study abroad programs through Hunter College!

  • Once accepted into one of our programs, you need to complete a Non-Degree Application to Hunter College for course registration.
  • Please use the Tuition Calculator to calculate your estimated tuition expenses as a non-degree student, for the number of credits offered by your chosen program.
  • The Office of Education Abroad reserves the right to collect tuition directly from non-CUNY students for our programs.

International Students

International students who come to Hunter College through the Education Abroad Office are those selected by the schools with whom we have reciprocal tuition exchanges.

After receiving complete files of the selected candidates from our counterparts abroad, we will contact you with all the pertinent information and necessary documentation.


Document Actions
Education Abroad website feedback:
Office of Education Abroad, Room E1447
(212) 772-4983 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065