Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home » Graduate Admissions » Applying » International Students
Document Actions

Visa Procedures & Information

International students may attend Hunter College on a J-1 or F-1 visa:

  • The F-1 (student status) is for students whose program of study will be funded privately
  • The J-1 (exchange visitor status) is for students whose program of study will be fully or partially funded by the US Government, their home government, or an international or non-profit organization

If you are approved for admission and need an F-1 or J-1 visa, you must:

  • Submit a Declaration and Certification of Finances Form and supporting documentation to the International Students Office.  This form will be mailed to you along with your acceptance letter by the Graduate Admissions Office when you have been approved for admission.  It allows us to verify, in accordance with US immigration law, that you have adequate financial resources to meet all expenses while enrolled at Hunter College.
  • When adequate funding has been confirmed, the International Students Office will  issue you a Certificate of Eligibility so that you can obtain your visa.
  • Present your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 for F-1 visa; IAP-66 for J-1 visa), admission letter, proof of adequate funds for study in the US and intent to return to your home country to the US consulate to obtain your visa. 
  • You should enter the US on one of these two visas only.  Visa status changes in the US are seldom approved. 
  • If you are transferring from another US university, you must report to the Hunter College International Advisor in the Office of Student Services no later than the end of the second week of their first semester.

Estimated One Year Expenses for International Applicants Seeking F-1 or J-1 Visa Status: 

Estimate Expenses
12 Months ($)
Tuition and Fees
17, 295.70
 School Fees
Books and Supplies
Room (Housing)
Meals (at home)
Lunch 1,530
Local Transportation
Personal Expenses
 Total 43,563.70


  • The total amount must be available at time of acceptance for the first academic year.
  • The amount allocated for housing is estimated based on shared living arrangements.
  • If you plan to stay in the US during the summer you must have this amount readily available for the first academic year as well.  In addition, you should be aware that educational expenses for a Summer Session range between $1,605 and $4,867 for 3 to 9 credits.
  • Students who plan to be accompanied by dependents must also verify an additional $5,000 for a spouse and $3,000 for a child per year.  The amount indicated for a dependent child does not include the cost of full-time day or nursery care which can range from $1,200 to $1,500 per month, per child.

International Students' Office Contact Information:
Telephone: 212-772-4864
International Students Office website

Office Hours

Monday - Thursday 10AM - 5PM

Friday 10AM - 3PM

*On 11/22, 12/13, 12/26, 12/27 and 12/28 all offices at Hunter College will close at 3:00PM

**Our office is currently assisting students and prospective applicants at the Welcome Center, Rm 100 North Building (located on the first floor-main Hunter College campus)

Please direct all inquiries via:

Telephone: (212) 396-6049


Please follow the Hunter College website for additional college closings

« December 2023 »