Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home » Graduate Admissions » FAQ » Decisions, Deferrals & Reapplying
Document Actions

Decisions, Deferrals & Reapplying

When will I receive a decision on my application?

Applications are initially evaluated by the Graduate Admissions Office.  Ordinarily, only applications of those who have fulfilled the minimum requirements are referred to the department.  Faculty admissions committees then evaluate and select the most qualified candidates.  The number of qualified applicants far exceeds the number of applicants who can be admitted.  Because departmental committees base recommendations for admission upon careful comparison of applications, it may be some time before final decisions are made.  As a result there cannot be a guarantee that applicants will receive a response, favorable or unfavorable, on or before any specific date.

What constitutes an official offer of admission?

Only the Director of Graduate Admissions or the Dean of the Silberman School of Social Work if you are applying for an MSW program, has the authority to make an offer of admission. A letter or email from a faculty member is not an official offer of admission. Only when you receive the official letter signed by the Director of Graduate Admissions or  the Dean of the Silberman School of Social Work you are considered fully admitted.

Will I be able to see if a decision has been made on my application using the online tracking system?

Yes, as soon as the Review Committee and the Dean of the respective school confirm the final decision on your application, the Graduate Admissions Office will send you an e-mail that your application decision is available online. You can log back into your online application and view that decision.

Are admissions decisions made on a rolling-basis?

Most programs make decisions after the Faculty Selection Committee reviews all the applicants to the program after the application deadline. In some cases, programs may review applicants on a rolling-basis.

If I am not offered admission into a program, am I able to appeal the decision?

Yes. You may submit a written appeal to the Graduate Advisor/Program Coordinator, or Dean of the respective program you applied to.

If I am admitted, may I defer my admission?

Deferrals could be granted on a case by case basis for up to a year with the written approval of the respective graduate degree program and the School Dean

How do I reapply to the graduate program at Hunter College?

In order to reapply to a graduate program at Hunter College, you need to CREATE and submit a new graduate degree online application (click on the Create Account tab on the log-in page). *Please note, you will also need to use a different username and password. **Do not log into your previous application.

In order to successfully submit a new application, you must:

  • Upload your statement of purpose
  • Scan and upload copies of unofficial transcripts of all your undergraduate and graduate colleges. 
  • You have to re-enter the name and contact information of your recommenders and the recommenders will have to re-submit their letter electronically through our online application system. 

*No additional application fee will be necessary IF:

  • You are currently attending as a graduate non-matriculated student at Hunter College;
  • You were accepted and you are reapplying to the same graduate degree program for the following processing period 
  • Your application was found incomplete (provided that you paid the application processing fee) AND reapplying to the same graduate degree program for the following processing period

In this case please choose "Pay by check" option at the end, but do not send another check. 

**Please note: Your application will go through a new review and evaluation process by the Faculty Review Committee; therefore the outcome of your current application decision may not reflect that of the previous or original outcome.

How do I transfer credits I took at another graduate school?

If you are admitted, the faculty will determine if transfer of credit could be granted after you have enrolled. For more on the Graduate Transfer of Credit policy click here.

Office Hours

Monday - Thursday 10AM - 5PM

Friday 10AM - 3PM

*On 11/22, 12/13, 12/26, 12/27 and 12/28 all offices will close at 3:00PM

**Our office is currently assisting students and prospective applicants at the Welcome Center, Rm 100 North Building (located on the first floor-main Hunter College campus)

Please direct all inquiries via:

Telephone: (212) 396-6049


Please follow the Hunter College website for additional college closings

« December 2023 »