Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home » Hunter College School of Nursing » Pressroom » Announcements » Nurse Residency Opportunities at VA NY Harbor Healthcare System
Document Actions

Nurse Residency Opportunities at VA NY Harbor Healthcare System

Priority: Informational

 

The Hunter College School of Nursing is pleased to share two nurse residency opportunities for undergraduate nursing students who are interested in a career at the VA caring for America's Veterans. See below for details.

 

VA Learning Opportunities Residency (VALOR)

The VALOR program provides opportunities for outstanding nursing students to develop clinical competencies in nursing specialty areas such as acute care/telemetry, mental health, community living center, ambulatory care service or rehabilitation at an approved VA health care facility. Opportunities for learning include didactic or classroom experiences, competency-based clinical practice with a qualified preceptor, and participation in specialty focused clinical conferences.

This competitive training is offered to nursing students between their junior and senior years of nursing school, as well as to accelerated nursing students who meet program requirements. The program at begins with ten weeks of paid, full-time work during the summer months (June – August). Applicants must be available to work 40 hours per week during this time. After completing the initial ten weeks of full-time work, VALOR students continue to work part-time through the academic year, until graduation.

Students who are interested in full-time VA careers caring for America’s Veterans are invited to apply. Over 50 percent of VALOR participants are hired as new registered nurses in VA.

To apply for the VALOR program, please visit
https://va-ams-info.intelliworxit.com/valor/.

 

 

Post-Baccalaureate Nurse Residency (PBNR) Program

Hunter College School of Nursing is honored to partner with the VA New York Harbor Healthcare System's Post-Baccalaureate Nurse Residency (PBNR) program. The PBNR program assists novice nurses in their transition to practice with the guidance of experienced preceptors and mentors. The RN Residents will have the opportunity to rotate through the Brooklyn, Manhattan, and St. Albans campuses during their residency. This is a wonderful opportunity and we strongly encourage our students to apply. This program is for new/recent graduates of baccalaureate nursing programs.

The nurse residency lasts for one year. Residents will spend 80% of their time in clincial practice with skilled nurses who have been trained to precept. The remaining 20% of the time is spent in didactic courses learning clinical skills, sharpening critical thinking techniques, and participating in simulations. Clinical services at VA acute care hospitals include cardiac/surgical/medical critical care units, general surgical/medical units, cardiac catheterization lab, dialysis services, telemetry, a busy OR, PACU, ambulatory care surgery, primary care, multiple specialty clinics, endoscopy suites and oncologic services including infusion room and radiation. Extensive mental health services are offered across the VA New York Harbor Health Care System.

Nurse Residents will...

  • Rotate through clinical services with possibility of electives.
  • Have access to childcare with eligibility. 
  • Have recruitment preference for RN positions across the VA (with successful completion of residency).
  • Enjoy federally-funded stipend with a full benefits package including paid time off.
  • Work Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 4pm.

See program announcement (PDF) for details on the application process and program requirements.

To apply for the PBNR program, please submit all materials to the program director, Yvonne Brown, DNP, ACNP-C, FNP-C at Yvonne.Brown1@va.gov.