You are here: Home Admissions Admissions Information Transfers


We are thrilled you are interested in transferring to Hunter College. We know we can provide you the opportunities you are looking for as you take this next crucial step in your education. We will be proud to welcome you to our community and become a Hunter Hawk!

Before you dive in, let's make sure you are in the right place. At Hunter, we consider you a transfer student if you:

  • Previously attended any college or university
  • Already completed a Bachelor's degree and are seeking an additional undergraduate degree
  • Currently a non-degree student at Hunter (or anywhere else) and would like to enroll as a matriculated student.

If you have ever attended Hunter College before as a matriculated student, you can skip this process and simply apply for readmission.

Credit Transfer
Scholarships/Financial Aid
How To Apply
Meet us on the Road

Credit Transfer

As a transfer student, one of your primary concerns will be how your credits will transfer once you enroll here at Hunter. We will conduct an official credit evaluation for all admitted students once you have made the commitment to attend. However, we want you to be able to get an idea as early as possible.

Transfer Credit Policy 
In general, credits earned by taking college-level courses from other regionally accredited colleges and universities will transfer, provided that the courses are similar in scope and content to those offered for credit at Hunter College. Credits will be granted for courses with a grade of "C" or better ("D" or better at CUNY institutions). The maximum total number of credits that may be transferred from other accredited Bachelor degree-granting institutions to Hunter College is 90. There is a 70-credit maximum on the number of credits that may be transferred from Associate degree-granting institutions. Students with an A.A., A.S. or A.A.S. degree from a CUNY college should be awarded 60 transfer credits (Note: To transfer 60 credits, all courses must adhere to the policies outlined above). The credit amount for each course remains the same when transferred. (Exception: Credits coming from a school using the quarter hour will be converted to the semester hour using a .66 multiplication factor.)

Grades do not transfer; the student's grade point average at Hunter is calculated solely on the basis of work taken at Hunter College.

The following courses do not transfer: ESL/Remedial/Developmental courses; Freshman orientation/experience courses; military training; firemen/police studies; EMT training; secretarial/office technology courses; hospitality management; pharmacological, Non-CUNY nursing courses (CUNY nursing courses are transferable for transfer students from CUNY community colleges who have earned an AA or AS degree and they have also been accepted in the Nursing Program), and medical professional training, Non-CUNY courses used to satisfy high school graduation requirements, among others.

SUNY General Education Requirements (GER) Transfer Policy

Effective Fall 2018 and in accordance with the University Provost Memorandum,  SUNY transfer students who have completed a bachelor’s, AA or AS degree or the entire 30-credit GER from SUNY will be deemed to have completed CUNY Pathways Common Core requirement. SUNY transfer students who completed a portion of the 30-credit GER requirement will have the completed GER credits applied to the Pathways areas as appropriate.  SUNY GER courses may be given as equivalent or pseudo course (Example: RCEC 1000 Required Core - English Composition) credit to fulfill pathways areas per departmental directive and Hunter College policy.

Please utilize the resources below to give you an idea of how your credits will transfer.

To get a sense of what your path to graduation will look like at Hunter, please visit our Degree Maps webpage.

To view our current Articulations Agreements with other colleges, please visit: Hunter College Articulation Agreements

Scholarships/Financial Aid

One of the most important aspects of pursuing your Bachelor's degree is figuring out the best way to finance it. As a transfer student, we want to make sure you are aware of all the different opportunities you have available to help you fund the next step of your education. Did you know that each year Hunter College awards over 3.4 million dollars in scholarships? Some of these funds are even reserved strictly for transfer students.

Transfer Achievement Scholarship - The Transfer Achievement Scholarship (TAS) is awarded each year to incoming students who have performed exceptionally well at their previous institutions. This scholarship ranges in amounts from $1,000 - $2,000 per year and also provides exciting programming opportunities throughout their career at Hunter College. Learn more about TAS.

Guttman Transfer Scholarship - Are you graduating from a CUNY community college? The Guttman Scholarship awards outstanding transfer students to Hunter College an award of up to $4,000. For more information on how to apply, visit their web page.

Financial Aid - There are many options in financing your education at Hunter College we encourage all transfer students to apply for financial aid so we can consider you for both merit and need-based assistance. We recommend that your file your FAFSA and TAP (New York State only) applications by December 1st of every year.

File FAFSA at:

Learn more about Financial Aid at Hunter College: Hunter College, Financial Aid

How To Apply

The Hunter College transfer admissions application is filed online through the City University of New York (CUNY).

Before you get started, we recommend that you review the resources below:

Transfer Supporting Documents Checklist

  • Completed application and application fee
  • College, University and/or Proprietary School Transcript
  • High School Transcript
  • Standardized Test Scores (SAT/ACT)
  • Supplemental Application for Selective Programs (if applicable)

Additional Items for Applicants Educated Outside of the U.S.

  • Secondary School Transcript/ Statement of Marks
  • Postsecondary School/University Record
  • English Translations of Foreign Records
  • TOEFL, IELTS or PTE Score

If you are applying to one of the following programs, you will have to submit additional supporting documents along with your application and meet certain pre requisites.

Ready To Apply? - Start a Transfer Application

Meet us on the Road

Each year, our admissions counselors visit college fairs and community colleges to provide transfer-specific information to students interested learning about transferring to Hunter College. See if Hunter College admissions representative is visiting a school near you.

If you can’t make it to one of the scheduled dates, we welcome you to our campus for Transfer Information Sessions and/or Campus Tour. View our Campus Tours page to learn more.


If you have already received an admissions decision and would like to be reconsidered for admission please click here.

Document Actions
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065