You are here: Home Admissions Admissions Information Transfers


students with hunter shirts on

We are thrilled you are interested in transferring to Hunter College. We know we can provide you the opportunities you are looking for as you take this next crucial step in your education. We will be proud to welcome you to our community and have you become a Hunter Hawk!


  • Previously attended any college or university after our high school/secondary school graduation
  • Already completed a Bachelor's degree and are seeking an additional undergraduate degree
  • Currently a non-degree student at Hunter (or anywhere else) and would like to enroll as a matriculated student

If you have ever attended Hunter College before as a matriculated student, and did not complete your degree at Hunter, you can skip this process and simply apply for readmission.

How to apply?

The Hunter College transfer admissions application is filed online through the City University of New York (CUNY). You start your application here: Before you get started, we recommend that you review the resources and the Required Supplemental Documents list.

Transfer Applicant Checklist:

☑ Completd CUNY applictaion for transfer applicants and application fee
☑ All College, University, and Prorprietary School Transcripts*
☑ High School Transcripts (if applicable)
☑ Supplemental Application for Selective Programs (if applicable)

*Please submit transcripts for all the schools you have attended, including institutions outside of the US. Official transcripts must be supplied for every college, university or proprietary school you attended. Applicants do not have the discretion of omitting any part of their educational history. Omission of any postsecondary institution you have attended may result in a five-year bar from CUNY.

Additional Items for Applicants Educated Outside of the U.S.

  • Secondary School Transcripts/ Statement of Marks**
  • Postsecondary School/University Record**
  • Official English Translations of Foreign Records
  • TOEFL - If you are on a temporary visa and educated in a non-English speaking environment, you must demonstrate proficiency in the English language by submitting test scores from TOEFL or IELTS (Academic Level) or PTE (Academic level) or Duolingo. Please request to have your official test scores sent to CUNY University Processing Center (CUNY/UAPC) and/or list our University code 2950 when registering for the exams. Visit the TOEFLIELTSPTE or Duolingo website for more information. Please review our TOEFL/IELTS/PTE/Duolingo Scores Comparison Chart for more information.

**Students who have Secondary School Transcripts/Statement of Marks and Postsecondary School/University Records from Outside of the U.S. and have not obtained 24 college credits or more in an accredited U.S. college or university must submit secondary records in addition to postsecondary academic records for admission consideration.


Admission to Individual Programs and Majors

As a transfer student, you should list your intended major on your application. You will work with your advisor to officially declare your major once you enroll.

If you are applying to one of the following programs, you will have to submit additional supporting documents along with your application and meet certain prerequisites prior to enrolling:

*Students applying for the B.S. in Nursing will need to spend at least one semester at Hunter College before being considered for admission to the program. RN-to-BSN and Accelerated Second-Degree Nursing applicants can be admitted directly into the program if they qualify.


Admissions Timeline and Deadines

Spring 2021 
Priority Deadline: September 15, 2020
Admissions decisions will go out starting in November on a rolling basis. 

Fall 2021
Priority Deadline: February 1, 2021
Admissions decisions will go out starting in January on a rolling basis. 

Credit Transfer

As a transfer student, one of your primary concerns will be how your credits will transfer once you enroll here at Hunter. We will conduct an official credit evaluation for all admitted students once you have made the commitment to attend. However, we want you to be able to get an idea as early as possible.

Undergraduate Transfer Credit Policy 

In general, credits earned by taking college-level courses from other regionally accredited colleges and universities will transfer, provided that the courses are similar in scope and content to those offered for credit at Hunter College. A maximum of 70 credits can be transferred from Associate Degree granting institutions and 90 credits from Baccalaureate granting institutions. 

Below are examples of coursework Hunter does not accept for credit:

  • ESL/Remedial/Developmental courses
  • Freshmen orientation/experience courses
  • Firemen/police studies
  • EMT training
  • Secretarial/office technology courses
  • Hospitality management
  • Pharmacological
  • Non-CUNY nursing courses (CUNY nursing courses are transferable for transfer students from CUNY community colleges who have earned an AA or AS degree and have also been accepted in the Nursing Program)
  • Medical professional training
  • Non-Transferable CUNY courses


Students may use the resources below to find course equivalencies at Hunter:

CUNY students:
Non-CUNY students:

Grades from previous college credits do not transfer; the student’s grade point average at Hunter is calculated solely on the basis of work taken at Hunter College.


Hunter Requirements 

Regardless of your transcripts credit evaluation and how many credits transfer into Hunter, all students must satisfy these requirements to receive a Hunter College degree:

  • Complete at least 30 credits in residence at Hunter College
  • Complete one-half the credits in their major and half in their minor or half the credits in an interdisciplinary program

Grades from previous college credits do not transfer; the student’s grade point average at Hunter is calculated solely on the basis of work taken at Hunter College.


Information for students from CUNY Community Colleges

Students with an AA, AS or AAS degree from a CUNY college should be awarded 60 transfer credits. Students with an AA or AS degree from a CUNY community college will be deemed to have completed CUNY Pathways Common Core requirements. Credits will be granted for courses with a grade “D” or better. There is a 70 credit maximum on the number of credits that may be transferred.

Information for students from SUNY Community Colleges

Effective fall 2018 and in accordance with the University Provost Memorandum, SUNY transfer students who have completed a bachelor’s, AA or AS degree or the entire 30-credit General Education Requirements (GER) from SUNY will be deemed to have completed CUNY Pathways Common Core requirement. SUNY transfer students who completed a portion of the 30-credit GER requirement will have the completed GER credits applied to the Pathways areas as appropriate.  Credits will be granted for courses with a grade “C” or better. There is a 70 credit maximum on the number of credits that may be transferred.


Articulation Agreements and Dual Admissions Programs

Hunter has many established partnerships and agreements with various Colleges and Universities. To view our articulation agreements and dual admissions programs, please visit:


Scholarships and Financial Aid


One of the most important aspects of pursuing your Bachelor's degree is figuring out the best way to finance it. As a transfer student, we want to make sure you are aware of all the different opportunities you have available to help you fund the next step of your education. Did you know that each year Hunter College awards over 3.4 million dollars in scholarships? Some of these funds are even reserved strictly for transfer students.

Transfer Scholarships - Different scholarships are awarded each year to incoming students who have performed exceptionally well at their previous institutions. The scholarships range in amounts and provide various programming opportunities throughout students' career at Hunter College. Learn more about transfer scholarships.

Financial Aid

There are many options in financing your education at Hunter College. We encourage all transfer students to apply for financial aid so we can consider you for both merit and need-based assistance. We recommend that you file your FAFSA and TAP (New York State only) applications by December 1st of every year. 

File FAFSA at

Learn more about Financial Aid at Hunter College: Hunter College - Financial Aid

Document Actions
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065