Office: 1703 Hunter West Bldg
Office Hours: By appointment.
Recently Published (for a full list of publications, click here)
Power, Policy, and Protest: The Politics of India's Special Economic Zones (Oxford University Press, 2014), coedited with L Kennedy & P Mukhopadhay.
More than a decade after importing the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) concept from China, India has hundreds of these walled-off, deregulated, low-tax enclaves. But an industrialization and export-promotion strategy pioneered in authoritarian China has faced huge political resistance in democratic India, where a range of protest movements have arisen. A central issue has been the alienation of privately owned land by business interests, abetted by the state. This book examines variations within and between eleven states as they pursue one of India's most controversial reform measures. Detailed case studies investigate differences in the nature and extent of SEZ-related political mobilization and the means employed by governments to manage dissent.
Peacebuilding: From Concept to Commission (Routledge, 2013)
Through an analysis of international efforts to rebuild states that have collapsed into civil war, this book traces the emergence of the idea of peacebuilding in official and academic discourse; examines the politics surrounding the redesign of the UN's peacebuilding architecture in 2005 (including the creation of the Peacebuilding Commission); and critically assesses the Commission's performance during its first six years in existence.
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Politics and political economy of India
- International and comparative politics of development
- The UN and post-conflict peacebuilding
- PolSc 360 - Democracy and Development in a Globalizing World
- PolSc 356 - India's Democratic Experiment
- PolSc 372.43 - Post-War Peacebuilding and State-Building
- PolSc 250 - Comparing Countries: Foundations of Comparative Political Analysis
- PolSc 100 - Introduction to Politics: Democracy, Anarchy, and the State
- B.A., Harvard University
- D.Phil., Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex (UK)
- Faculty Associate, Roosevelt House Public Policy Institute, CUNY
- Senior Fellow, Ralph Bunche Institute for International Studies, The Graduate Center, CUNY
- Editorial board member: Journal of Commonwealth and Comparative Politics; Jindal Journal of Public Policy; Studies in Indian Politics.
- Advisor: Freedom House, Freedom in the World Survey Team
- Visiting Professor, École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales, Paris (2013)
- Senior Consultant, United Nations Secretariat, Peacebuilding Support Office (2010). Lead author, Report of the Secretary General on Women’s Participation in Peacebuilding (S/2010/466)
- Visiting Scholar, Center for the Advanced Study of India, University of Pennsylvania (2007-08)
- Professor of Political Science, University of London (1995-2008)
- Fellow, Dorothy & Lewis B. Cullman Center for Scholars and Writers, New York Public Library (2005-06)
- Visiting Professor, The Poverty Research Unit, School of African & Asian Studies, University of Sussex (2002-03)
- Visiting Fellow, Development Policy Research Centre, University of Cape Town (1997)
- Visiting Fellow, Institute of Development Studies, Jaipur, India (1993-94)