M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D., Columbia Unversity
Certificate, Harriman Institute, Columbia University
Areas of Specialization:
International Relations, International Security, Transatlantic and European Security; Post-Communist Transitions, Russian Politics, Foreign, and Military Policy; Power Transitions and BRICS.
PLSC 270: International Relations: Conceptual Foundations and Current Issues
PLSC 282: International Security
PLSC 377: Theories of International Politics
PLSC 378: Russian National Interest:Past & Present
PLSC 379: War and Strategy
PLSC 380: European Security
PLSC 383: Power Transitions, the U.S & World Order
PLSC 273.08: Great Powers and Global Politics
HONS 301.25: Post-Communist Europe: Political and Economic Challenges
PLSC 115: Introduction to International Politics
Bio: Prof. Roberts teaches international relations at Hunter College and is also an Adjunct Senior Associate and Adjunct Associate Professor at the Saltzman Institute of War and Peace Studies at Columbia University. Previously, Dr. Roberts was Director of the Russian Area Studies Graduate Program at Hunter and also served on the Executive Committee on Science, Arms Control, and National Security of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. She has held research fellowships at the Brookings Institution and Stanford University, received several grants, including from the Ford Foundation and the National Endowment for the Humanities, and served as a consultant on international security issues. Prof. Roberts is currently a member of the John J. McCloy Round table on Setting the National Security Agenda at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York and also on the international board of trustees of the Centre for European Security in Moscow.
- "The Emerging Powers and Global Governance: Why the BRICS Matter." (with Leslie Elliot Armijo) in Robert Looney, ed., Handbook of Emerging Economies (Routledge, forthcoming, 2014).
- "The Future of NATO: Decline and Fall?" European Security: Events, Estimates, Forecasts, 31(47) (December 2013).
- "Building the New World Order BRIC by BRIC" The European Financial Review (Febuary - March 2011).
- Editor and “Introduction,” Forum on “Challengers or Stakeholders? BRICs and The Liberal World Order.” Polity, vol. 42, no. 1 (January 2010), 1-13.
- "Russia's BRICs Diplomacy: Rising Outsider with Dreams of an Insider." Polity, vol. 42, no. 1 (January 2010), 38-73.
- BRICs and Global Goverance." Workshop on States, Development. and Global Goverence, University of Wisconsin, March 12-13, 2010.
- Russia and the European Union: The Sources and Limits of ‘Special Relationships’ (2007).
Selected Current Work:
- "The Rising Power of the BRICS Club: Club Dynamics and Interests in Global Governance Institutions"
- Measuring the Chinese Economy (with charts) from H-Diplo (Aug. 2013)
- "Russian Grand Strategy from Peter to Putin: Lessons for Emerging Powers"
- "Post-Cold War Security in Europe: Power, Politics, and Problematic Partnerships"