Leon Cooperman Scholarship Program
Each year the Leon Cooperman Scholarship Program selects a cohort of Cooperman Scholars – Accomplished, enterprising Hunter College students who show outstanding promise as future business leaders. Cooperman Scholars are chosen not only for their impressive academic and extracurricular achievements, but also for their character and commitment to making the world a better place through their business endeavors. Accordingly, applications are sought from talented students without restriction as to their field of academic specialization or career plans – Past Cooperman Scholars have majored in Computer Science, Economics, Political Science, Psychology, Religion, and Statistics.
The goal of the Leon Cooperman Scholarship Program is to help its Scholars fulfill their promise as future business leaders, by further developing their critical thinking and leadership skills, while ensuring their entry into the business world with a running start. In addition to receiving a scholarship and internship support, Cooperman Scholars gain first-hand knowledge and exposure to a variety of business topics through company tours, speakers, conferences, industry/career panels, and specialized workshops.
The Scholars also benefit from hands-on guidance on career planning, networking, resume/cover letter writing, and interviewing from the Pre-Business Advisor and mentorship by the Pre-Business Advisory Board, which is comprised of a number of senior business executives. Scholars who decide to purse an MBA are given full support in the form of customized admissions guidance, funding for GMAT courses, and assistance with essay writing and interview prep.
The Leon Cooperman Pre-Business Program was established in 2010 through a generous gift by Leon Cooperman, a distinguished Hunter alumnus who was a General Partner at Goldman, Sachs & Co. before founding Omega Advisors. Mr. Cooperman aims to inspire more Hunter students to venture into the business world upon graduation. He also wanted to provide the resources for these students to eventually achieve admission to top-tier business school programs.
Cooperman Scholars receive:
- Additional financial assistance to support business-related activities
In addition to the financial support, Scholars benefit from a wide variety of topical support services to ensure their successful transition from ambitious college student to accomplished business executive. These support services include:
- Mentoring and counseling, including strategies for career planning and exploration;
- Internship and job search support, including individualized guidance on networking, resume/cover letter writing, interview prep, strategies for success, and general business etiquette;
- Company visits and sponsored tickets to industry speakers, panels, conferences, and fairs;
- External networking opportunities with notable executives across a wide range of industries;
- Internal networking opportunities with fellow Cooperman Scholars and Scholar alums;
- Hands-on support with business plans, fundraising, and execution strategies for entrepreneurs;
- MBA admissions support, from identifying the appropriate business programs to admissions/GMAT prep