Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home » Student Services » Student Veteran Services » BENEFITS-SUB » BENEFITS, FINANCIAL AID, GRANTS & SCHOLARSHIPS: State Aid
Document Actions



State Aid Programs for Veterans and Others in the Military

New York State Veterans Tuition Award
Tuition Benefit for Active NYS National Guard Members
Army National Guard (ARNG) Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) Program
Regents Award for Children of Deceased or Disabled Veterans
4/03 Support for Military Families


New York State Veterans Tuition Award

Combat veterans of Vietnam, Afghanistan and Persian Gulf conflicts are eligible to receive up to $4,287.50 a year. For more information, please read Tuition Award Information. There are also awards available for spouses, children and dependants of veterans. Please visit the HESC website for more information about all New York State Veteran education benefits.


Tuition Benefit for Active NYS National Guard Members

The New York State Recruitment Incentive & Retention Program is available for active members of the New York Army National Guard, the New York Air National Guard, and the New York Naval Militia. It provides tuition assistance for active Guard members enrolled in a first degree or program of study. The award covers tuition after all other financial aid has been applied to the tuition charges. Students must apply for federal (FAFSA) and state aid (TAP) and file a DMNA 96-1 Form, which can be obtained from their individual National Guard unit. Tight deadlines are enforced, so plan your paperwork ahead and allow time for corrections. Continuation of the award will be dependent on good military standing, on making satisfactory progress toward the degree, and on maintaining good academic standing for financial aid purposes. Reservists in good standing in US Naval Reserves or USMC Reserves who are New York state residents should see their units about joining the NY Naval Militia. Questions can be directed through your unit, or to the Education Office in Watervliet, NY – Email: or Telephone: (518) 272-4032/6349


Army National Guard (ARNG) Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) Program

(Previously known as the ACES Program)The New York Army National Guard receives approximately $180,000 in Army National Guard (ARNG) Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) each year to help our soldiers pursue their civilian education goals. ARNG FTA can be applied to a course or program taken at a regionally or nationally accredited, public or private, college, university, vocational, technical or trade school located inside or outside of New York. etc

Soldiers can receive up to $250 per semester hour. The amount cannot exceed the tuition cost for a course. The maximum annual cap per soldier is $4,500. The ARNG Federal TA program may also fund clock hours for vocational and technical training courses and certificates offered by non-degree-granting accredited institutions. A formula is used to convert the clock hours to credit hours and the semester hour spending cap is then applied.

Soldiers pursuing a first professional degree may apply for ARNG FTA. First professional degrees are awarded in the fields of Architecture, Certified Public Accountant, Podiatry (D.P.M.), Dentistry (D.D.S. or D.M.D.), Medicine (M.D.), Optometry (O.D.), Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.), Pharmacy (D. Phar.), Law (J.D.), and Theology (M. Div or M.H.L.).

Doctoral degree programs can not be funded by ARNG Federal TA.


Applying for funding?

To apply for ARNG Federal TA soldiers must submit  DA Form 2171, prior to the start of their course. (You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to access these forms.)

  1. View and print a blank copy of DA Form 2171
  2. To apply for ARNG FTA mailDA Form 2171 to the following address:

Division of Military and Naval Affairs
Education Services Office
Watervliet Arsenal
Watervliet, NY 12189-4050

Once the Education Services Office staff approves the DA Form 2171, notification will be mailed to the school. The school will bill the education office and payment will be made directly to the school. It is the soldier's responsibility to follow the directions provided by the Education Services Office staff.

Any changes to an approved DAForm 2171 (course information, school information or start/end dates) must be submitted in writing to the Education Services Office. Any invoice from the college/university that does not match the approved DA Form 2171 will not be processed for payment. The soldier will be liable for any tuition incurred for courses that have not been approved by the Education Services Officer.


Can I use ARNG FTA and Montgomery GI Bill benefits for the same courses?

If you are taking 6 or more credits at the same time (usually the equivalent of two courses) AND you are also eligible to receive Selected Reserve - Montgomery GI Bill benefits the following information pertains to you. Soldiers taking 6 or more credits at the same time may receive ARNG Federal TA and MGIB benefits for the same class. However, the amount of Federal TA you can receive annually will be reduced as follows:

  • Soldiers who are eligible to receive Selected Reserve-MGIB benefits can receive up to $2,500 in Federal TA each year.
  • Soldiers who are eligible to receive both Selected Reserve-MGIB benefits and the MGIB Kicker Program are eligible to receive up to $1,500 in Federal TA each year.
  • Soldiers who are NOT eligible for MGIB programs may receive up to $4,500 in Federal TA each year.

Soldiers taking 6 or more credits at the same time who are interested in combining ARNG FTA and MGIB benefits for the same courses must inform the Education Services Office of this intention at the time of application for ARNG FTA funding. US Army soldiers in reserve units can apply for the same benefit through their unit.


Regents Award for Children of Deceased or Disabled Veterans

The Child of Veteran Award is a financial aid program for children of veterans who are deceased, disabled, or MIA as a result of service. Child of Veteran awardees can receive up to $450 each year without consideration of income or tuition cost and this benefit may be granted for 4 years of full-time undergraduate study (or 5-years in a approved 5-year bachelor’s degree) The combined Child of Veteran Award and Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) can never exceed the amount of tuition charges. A special application must be filed with the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (NYSHESC), Albany, NY 12255. Documentary evidence to establish eligibility is required with the application. The applicant must be: (1) the child of a veteran who died, or who has a current disability of 50 percent or more, or who had such disability at the time of death resulting from U.S. military service. For further information contact NYSHESC (see TAP applications procedures) and request a Child of Veteran Award. Applications may be obtained by contacting the HESC Scholarship Unit at 1-888-697-4372.


4/03 Support for Military Families

Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides information regarding programs, and/or support groups for family members, friends, and co-workers of Military members. The NYS Family Program website has detailed information regarding:

  1. Taking Care of You and Yours During Deployment
  2. Tips for Parent/Caregiver Left Behind
  3. Keeping the News Flowing - Communicating with a Military Member
  4. Being a Long-Distance Parent.

You may also want to visit the Military Corner

For more financial aid information, please visit:





contact us

Room 1119, East Building, 695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065