Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Veterans VA Education Benefits

My VA Educational Benefits

VA educational benefits are designed to make college and higher education available and affordable to student veterans or dependents. Educational Benefits vary on the veteran status and their time in the service. Find out what type of benefits you may be eligible for below.

Chapter 30 is also know at the Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty. This benefits applies to veterans who began their first active duty service after June 30, 1985. Veterans who are eligible for this benefit must possess an honorable discharge. One month of benefits from Chapter 30 will be paid out for each month of active duty. Chapter 30 benefits are paid out on a monthly basis directly to the veteran. For more information on Chapter 30 and the four categories visit; Chapter 30 Pamphlet.

Chapter 33 is known as the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Veterans who have served a minimum of 90 days on active duty after September 11th 2001 will be eligible for this benefit. In order to be eligible a veteran must be honorable discharged from Armed Forces, be released from Armed Forces characterized as honorable. Chapter 33 benefit holders are entitled to 36 months of education assistance. Veterans are eligible to use their benefits up to 15 years from their date of discharge with at least 90 consecutive days of services. Payments of Chapter 33 include tuition and fees, monthly housing allowance and a stipend for books and supplies. For more information on Chapter 33 visit; Chapter 33 Pamphlet

Chapter 35 is known as Dependents Educational Assistance or DEA. This benefit is given to dependents of veterans connected permanent and total disability, service members who are MIA, service members who are being detained by a foreign government or service member who have died in the line of duty. Children between the ages of 18 and 26 or with some exceptions are eligible for this benefit. Surviving spouses of a permanently disabled or deceased veterans are also eligible. However surviving spouses benefits will stop if they remarry, but when continue if the remarriage ends in death or divorce. For more information on Chapter 35 visit; Chapter 35 DEA Pamphlet

Chapter 1606 is also known as Montgomery GI Bill for Selected Reserve. This is an educational benefit for anyone actively in the Selected Reserve. Eligibility for this benefit is a 6-year obligation to serve in the Reserve and in required trainings. Benefits are paid directly to the reservists on a monthly basis For more information on Chapter 1606 visit; Chapter 1606 Pamphlet

Chapter 1607 is also known as Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP). Active members of the Selected Reserve called to active duty and members of the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) called to active duty supporting an operation or a national emergency are entitled to the benefits. Service members serving a consecutive 90 days or more may be eligible for Chapter 1607 or Chapter 33 but will only be able to claim one in order to obtain benefits. Benefits are paid directly to the veteran on a monthly basis. Veterans who have applied for REAP but have not attended school prior to November 25th 2015 are no longer eligible, however they may be eligible for Chapter 33. 

For more information on Chapter 1607 visit; Chapter 1607 Pamphlet

Chapter 31 known as Vocational Rehabilitation or Voc Rehab may be eligible if they receive or will receive a discharge other than dishonorable, have a disability rating of at least 10% or applies for Vocational Rehabilitation and employment. Chapter 31 may be used 12 years from the date of separation or the date a veteran is notified by VA for service connected disability. Individuals eligible for Chapter 33 but is receiving benefits under Chapter 31 maybe be able to receive Monthly Housing Allowance related to Chapter 33. Contact your Voc Rehab counselor for more information. For more information on Chapter 31 visit; Chapter 31 Voc Rehab

Veteran Tuition Award (VTA) are New York state funded aware to full-time or part-time degree-seeking students. This application must be submitted every year to be eligible for payment. Awards may vary depending on the eligibility for each student. For more information on Veteran Tuition Award visit; Veteran Tuition Award (VTA)

The National Guard Education Program allows you to serve while pursuing a college education. There are many assistance programs to help you pay for tuition and other expenses. Talk to your Educational Services Officer to learn more.  For more information visit

GoArmyEd is your one-stop location for managing your college education and using Tuition Assistance (TA) benefits. GoArmyEd gives your access to thousands of regionally accredited colleges and universities.  For more information visit and create a profile.
Document Actions
Veterans website feedback:
1119 East Building
(212) 772-4882 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065