1418A Hunter West
Justin Garson is a philosopher of biology. His first book, The Biological Mind: A Philosophical Introduction (Routledge 2015) explores points of intersection between biology and mind, such as altruism, evolutionary psychology, the nature-nurture dispute, explanation in neuroscience, and psychiatric classification. He is also interested in environmental philosophy, and is currently co-editing the Routledge Handbook of the Philosophy of Biodiversity. He also writes on the history of neuroscience and psychiatry. In 2009, he and his family lived in Gulu, Northern Uganda, and started a business to support people affected by war. He received his PhD in Philosophy and the Program in the History and Philosophy of Science at The University of Texas at Austin in 2006.
Please contact author at email@example.com for reprints or electronic versions.
- Garson, J. Forthcoming, "Mechanisms, Phenomena, and Functions,” in Glennan, S., and Illari, P. (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of Philosophy of Mechanisms (London: Routledge).
- Garson, J. Forthcoming. "The Hiddenness of Psychological Symptom Amplification: Some Historical Observations", in Moseley, D. D., and Gala, G. (Eds.), Philosophy and Psychiatry: Problems, Intersections and New Perspectives (London: Routledge).
- Garson, J. Forthcoming. "The Birth of Information in the Brain: Edgar Adrian and the Vacuum Tube", Science in Context
- Garson, J. 2015. The Biological Mind: A Philosophical Introduction. London: Routledge.
- Garson, J., and Piccinini, G. 2014. "Functions Must be Performed at Appropriate Rates in Appropriate Situations", British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 65:1-20
- Garson, J. 2014. "What is the Value of Historical Fidelity in Restoration?", Studies in History and Philosophy of BIology and Biological Sciences 45:97-100
- Garson, J. 2014. " Realism, Conventionalism, and Irrealism about Biological Functions: A Reply to Schyfter", Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective 3(6):77-81.
- Garson, J. 2013. “Alexander Forbes, Walter Cannon, and Science-Based Literature”, in Stiles, A, Finger, S., and Boller, F. (Eds.), Progress in Brain Research Vol 205: Literature, Neurology, and Neuroscience: Historical and Literary Connections (Amsterdam: Elsevier), pp. 241-256.
- Garson, J. 2013. "The Functional Sense of Mechanism", Philosophy of Science 80: 317-333.
- Garson, J. 2012. "Function, Selection, and Construction in the Brain", Synthese: Special Issue on Neuroscience and its Philosophy 189: 451-481.
- Garson, J. 2011. “Selected Effects Functions and Causal Role Functions in the Brain: The Case for an Etiological Approach to Neuroscience”, Biology & Philosophy 26: 547-565.
- Garson, J. 2010. “Schizophrenia and the Dysfunctional Brain”, Journal of Cognitive Science 11: 215-246.
- Garson, J. 2008. “Function and Teleology”, in Plutynski, A., and Sarkar, S. (Eds.), Companion to Philosophy of Biology (Malden, MA: Blackwell).
- Garson, J. 2006. “Emergentism”, in Sarkar, S., and Pfeifer, J. (Eds.), The Philosophy of Science: An Encyclopedia (New York: Routledge Press).
- Garson, J., and Justus, J. 2006. “Conservation Biology”, in Sarkar, S., and Pfeifer, J. (Eds.), The Philosophy of Science: An Encyclopedia (New York: Routledge Press).
- Garson, J. 2003. “The Introduction of Information into Neurobiology”, Philosophy of Science 70: 926-936.
- Garson, J., Wang, L., and Sarkar, S. 2003. “How Development May Direct Evolution”, Biology and Philosophy 18: 353 – 370.
- Sarkar, S., Mayfield, M., Cameron, S., Fuller, T., and J. Garson. 2007. “Conservation Area Networks for the Indian Ecoregion: Systematic Methods and Future Prospects”, Himalayan Journal of Sciences 4: 27-40.
- Moffett, A., Garson, J., and S. Sarkar. 2005. “MultCSync: A Software Package for Incorporating Multiple Criteria in Conservation Planning”, Environmental Modelling and Software 20: 1315 –1322.
- Sarkar, S., Justus, J., Fuller, T., Kelley, C., Garson, J., and M. Mayfield. 2005. “Effectiveness of Environmental Surrogates for the Selection of Conservation Area Networks”, Conservation Biology 19: 815 – 825.
- Sarkar, S., and J. Garson. 2004. “Multiple Criterion Synchronization (MCS) for Conservation Area Network Design: The Use of Non-Dominated Alternative Sets”, Conservation and Society 2: 433-448.
- Sarkar, S., Moffett, A., Sierra, R., Fuller, T., Cameron, S., and J. Garson. 2004. “Incorporating Multiple Criteria into the Design of Conservation Area Networks”, Endangered Species Update 21: 100 – 107.
- Sarkar, S., Pappas, C., Garson, J., Aggarwal, A., and S. Cameron. 2004. “Place Prioritization for Biodiversity Conservation Using Probabilistic Surrogate Distribution Data”, Diversity and Distributions 10: 125-133.
- Kelley, C., Garson, J., Aggarwal, A., and S. Sarkar. 2002. “Place Prioritization for Biodiveristy Reserve Network Design: A Comparison of the SITES and ResNet Software Packages for Coverage and Efficiency”, Diversity and Distributions 8: 297 – 306.
- Sarkar, S., Aggarwal, A., Garson, J., Margules, C., and J. Zeidler. 2002. “Place Prioritization for Biodiversity Content”, Journal of BioSciences 27: 339 – 346.
- Garson, J., Aggarwal, A., and S. Sarkar. 2002. “Birds as Surrogates for Biodiversity: An Analysis of a Data Set from Southern Québec”, Journal of BioSciences 27: 347 – 360.
- Sarkar, S., Parker, N., Garson, J., Aggarwal, A., and S. Haskell. 2000. “Place Prioritization for Texas using GAP Data: The Use of Biodiversity and Environmental Surrogates within Socioeconomic Constraints”, Gap Bulletin 9: 48 – 51.
- Garson, J. Forthcoming. "Review of Carl F. Craver and Lindley Darden's In Search of Mechanisms: Discoveries across the Life Sciences," HOPOS: The Journal of the International Society for the History of Philosophy of Science.
- Chowdhury, S., and J. Garson. 2012. “Review of Patricia Churchland’s Braintrust: What Neuroscience Tells us about Morality,” History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences 34: 512 – 514.
- Garson, J. 2012. “Review of Raymond Tallis’ Aping Mankind: Neuromania, Darwinitis, and the Misrepresentation of Humanity", Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews.
- Zhu, B., and Garson, J. 2008. “The Evolving Brain: The Known and the Unknown (book review)”,History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences 30: 111-112.
- Garson, J. 2006. “Mind, Meaning, and Mental Disorder (book review)”, History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences 28: 115-116.
- Garson, J. 2005. “Nature and Nurture: An Introduction to the New Philosophy of Psychiatry (book review)”, History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences 27: 145-146.