Numerous organizations have sponsored CECA events, including the Department of Romance Languages and the Office of the Provost at Hunter College, Hispanex (Ministry of Education and Culture, Government of Spain), and PSC-CUNY. The creation of this center is greatly indebted to late Professor Giuseppe Di Scipio, who supported the project at its earliest stages. The first CECA conference to be held in Spring 2014 will be dedicated to Professor Di Scipio.
- The first CECA conference will take place on Friday and Saturday, April 25 and 26 at Hunter College. Several national and international scholars will participate in the event entitled "The Limits of the Atlantic: Island Epistemologies." You can view the program HERE.
- Professor Benita Sampedro from Hofstra University spoke at The University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria on December 17, 2013. The title of her talk was "From Cuba to Fernando Poo and back to the Americas, with a stop at the Canary Islands"
- Professor Miguel Suarez Bosa from the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria gave a talk entitled "Migraciones atlánticas. Aportación de los canarios y caboverdianos a la construcción de América." The event will take place on Tuesday, September 17 at 4pm in HW 522. For more information please click HERE
- Professor Rolando Pérez from Hunter College presented a paper at the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria in November 2012. His talk was entitled “La economía transatlántica-mundial y la modernidad”.
- Professor Magdalena Sagardía from Hunter College gave a talk at the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria in October 2011. The topic of her presentation was "The Canary Islands in National Geographic."
- Professor María Hernández-Ojeda spoke at the Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Canary Islands in November 25, 2010. The title of her talk was “Cruces Ideológicos entre Canarias y Costa Rica a principios del siglo XX.”
- Professors Di Scipio, Fasoli and Santana discussed the classical connections literary and historical connections between Italy and the Canary Islands. Hunter College, November 2010.
- Professor María Hernández-Ojeda from Hunter College and Professor Germán Santana Pérez from Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria gave a lecture at the Bildner Center-Cuba Project (GC-CUNY) entitled "Beyond the Map: Transatlantic Ties between Cuba and the Canary Islands" in October, 14, 2010. For more information click HERE.
- Professor Germán Santana Pérez from Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria gave a series of lectures at Hunter College in conjunction with the SPAN 370 course "Transatlantic Literature: The Canary Islands and The Americas," in fall 2010. For more information please click HERE.