Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home English Graduate Programs MA in English Adolescent Education

MA in English Adolescent Education

The English Adolescence Education Masters is designed for students who wish to pursue secondary school teaching in English. The program is not for individuals who already have initial or provisional certification in the teaching of English. Those who have already received provisional certification should apply for the MA in Literature, Language and Theory. (With the approval of the English Department advisor, such students may take 3 or 6 credits of course work in advanced courses from the Adolescence Education sequence.) 

A new version of our program was recently instituted. For prospective students and currently enrolled students who will be transitioning into the new program (more information will be available about this by the Fall), the requirements are as follows:

In addition to taking required credits in the Department of Education, students in the MA English Adolescent Education program must complete 18 credits of English courses, including 

  • ENGL 61500-- Rhetoric and Composition

  • ENGL 70900-- Teaching Multilingual Learners in ELA Classrooms
  • One 3 credit course on pre-1800 literature
  • One 3 credit course on African and Asian Diasporic, Indigenous, Latinx, and minority American literature

  • 6 credits of ENGL electives

Admission Requirements:
  1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0.‚Äč

  2. A minimum of 21 credits of advanced courses in British, American or World Literature written in English (no more than 3 credits of the latter).

  3. General education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include: artistic expression; communication; information retrieval; concepts in history and social sciences; humanities; a language other than English; scientific and mathematical processes; and written analysis and expression.

  4. Students must submit a writing sample of about 10 pages (preferably an undergraduate research paper of literary criticism).

  5. Two references (preferably including at least one academic reference).

  6. A personal statement.

  7. Submission of official score report on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) , except applicants who are certified teachers or school administrators and hold a graduate degree.

For those enrolled in the current program graduating under the current catalogue, the requirements are as follows:

  • 18 credits in literature given by the Department of English; of these, 3 credits must be in Shakespeare, 3 credits in American literature, and 3 credits in literature with a multicultural emphasis.
  • 3 credits in English Linguistics (ENGL 607).
  • 3 credits in Rhetoric and Composition (ENGL 615).
  • Passing a comprehensive examination that requires reflection and synthesis of previous coursework (the specific prompt is announced each semester on the English MA Blackboard site).
  • Graduate course requirements in Education (22-24 credits). See the School of Education for details.

Frequently Asked Questions

How large are graduate seminars?

  • In order to maintain small and engaging seminars, each course caps at 15 students. A limited number of overtallies into each course may be granted by the professor and approved by the graduate advisor.

How many credits from previous master's courses can I transfer into the program?

  • Students who are accepted into a graduate program and register for courses may request transfer credit for up to 6 credits taken within relevant graduate programs at regionally accredited institutions, including credits taken at Hunter College while enrolled in another degree program, whether or not a master's degree was awarded.
  • Transfer of credit is subject to the approval of the department or graduate advisor and to the regulations of the Hunter program in which the student is enrolled. The following additional limitations apply:
  1. The course(s) for which transfer of credit is requested must have been completed within four years prior to the awarding of the Hunter graduate degree.
  2. Credits for courses in which the student earned a grade below B, or took a non-letter grade such as a pass/fail are not transferable.
  3. Courses used to satisfy entrance requirements, as well as courses used as part of a previously completed bachelor's program, may not be transferred.
  4. Grades in courses transferred from other institutions, or from a prior master's degree program taken at Hunter College, will not be calculated into the student's grade point average (GPA), nor will these grades be posted on the current Hunter College record.

Can I audit a graduate seminar or take a course as a non-degree student?

  • We only allow students to audit an MA course if they are already enrolled in the program and have received permission from both the graduate advisor and the professor of the course. Admitted graduate non-degree students may register for graduate courses upon approval from the graduate advisor. However, no more than 9 credits may be taken as a non-matriculant of the program.

Do I have to be registered for a certain amount of credits each semester?

  • The department does not require students to be registered for a specific amount of credits per semester. However, please be sure to check with the Office of Financial Aid regarding enrollment requirements for financial support.

Can I take a temporary Leave of Absence from the program?

  • Yes. If, however, your leave extends beyond one semester, you must apply for readmission through the Office of Graduate Admissions.

Can I take courses in other departments while pursuing the MA in English Adolescent Education?

  • Taking demonstrably relevant courses in other departments is possible with prior approval from the graduate advisor, but courses outside the Department of English should not exceed 6 credits.

For more information, please contact the Graduate Advisor, Professor Janet Neary.

Office:1204 HW
Phone: (212) 772-4039

Document Actions
English website feedback:
West Building Room 1212
(212) 772-5070 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065