Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home English Advising



If you need general advising, outside of English Department course equivalencies,  requirements, or information, please contact the Hunter College Advising Office. 

If you have any questions regarding English Department Advising, please email

The Summer 2024 Advising Schedule can be found here. All appointments must be made Via Navigate.

The English department's faculty advisors are very happy to meet or correspond with all  Hunter students, including current or prospective English majors or minors wanting to  discuss their path to graduation, students considering graduate programs in literature or  professional schools, and students needing literature or composition courses from other  colleges evaluated for Hunter equivalency. Given the number of students in the major,  in order to maximize efficient use of our limited resources, we ask students to read the  following closely before making an appointment.


If you are an English Major, we encourage you to read our Tips for English Majors.

For those applying to graduate school, we have compiled helpful information in our Graduate School Application Advising Section.


When do I Make an Appointment?

In general, synchronous advising, whether online over Zoom or in-person, is best for solving problems and  discussing requirements, so please feel free to make an appointment with one of our  advisors through Navigate

When do I Send an Email?

Students should consult our department webpage for general information before  emailing an advisor. Emailed questions should be brief and straightforward. If the  question is not brief or straightforward, students should set up a Zoom appointment  using the Navigate system to discuss particulars with an advisor. Please include your  EMPLID with any communication. Due to the number of emails we receive, students shouldn't expect a response in less than 24-48  hours. If the matter is truly urgent, please try to make an appointment with an advisor through Navigate as that is often faster than email. Important: please do not write your question to more than one advisor as this  will slow down response time. 

Other Information:

To have your course evaluated for transfer credit equivalency, or if you are  requesting an exemption from a required course, make an appointment with an advisor  through Navigate and send that advisor the syllabus or course description of the course  you want evaluated from your previous college. Without the syllabus/course  description, your advisor will not be able to determine whether it meets department or  college requirements.

To declare your major, fill in the Major, Minor, Certificate Declaration and Change Form. You will need your Net ID and password to access the form. Be sure to declare “English Lit BA” as your Major, and then choose a concentration. For more information about the various major concentrations in English see our Undergraduate Programs page.  Each concentration links to a course checklist you will need as you fulfill your requirements.  Please download the checklist for your concentration and mark off classes as you take them. One of our department advisors will approve your declaration online.  For more information about declaring the major, see Hunter’s page on Declare a Major, Minor, or Certificate.

If you are an English major looking for classes to take, please take a moment to read  our course descriptions. They will tell you what requirements classes fulfill, the focus of  the class, and include information about assignments. These descriptions will help you  make an informed decision when you register.


Document Actions
English website feedback:
West Building Room 1212
(212) 772-5070 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065