Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home International English Language Institute F-1 STUDENT VISA Change of Status

Change of Status

This is for people who are currently in the U.S. on a B1/B2 visitor visa, J-1, or another type of non-immigrant visa and would like to change their status to F-1 student status while they are in the U.S.

Two Ways of Gaining a New F-1 Status

Please be informed our COURSE INFORMATION and PROGRAM START DATES and complete the necessary forms following the instructions below.

1. Complete the Online application form (full payment of $2,325 must be made with this link and see tuition information)

*** Application fee $175, registration fee $25, and placement test fee $25 will be added - All I-20s will be emailed and "I-20 pick up" should be picked

2. Original Financial Documents - Bank statement in English with a minimum balance of $22,500 in the account (can be emailed in PDF)

 ** If someone else is your financial sponsor (can be emailed in PDF)

  • Sponsor’s Bank Statement or Bank Letter in English with a minimum balance of $22,500
  • Affidavit of Support Form
  • Proof of income (Pay stub, W2, Job letter, Income Tax Return, etc..)

3. Letter from your lawyer claiming responsibility for your change of status case (can be emailed in PDF) 

4. Copy of current visa (can be emailed in PDF)

5. Copy of the I-94 arrival stamp (can be emailed in PDF)

6. Any other immigration documents the individual may have received from the government regarding your status (if applicable) (can be emailed in PDF)

 Note: you will receive a change of status requested I-20 in 1 week once all documents listed above are received.

*** Please contact the IELI international student office at if you have any questions.

Document Actions
International English Language Institute website feedback:
695 Park Avenue 1022 East Building New York, New York 10065
(212) 772-4292 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065