Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home » Student Affairs: Services » International Students » Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19
Document Actions

Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19

1) Could I lose my F-1 or J-1 status because I left the United States to return home, even if I am still taking my classes remotely?

SEVP has approved online distance learning for F-1 and J-1 students, whether students remain in the U.S. or travel overseas. However, you need to complete a Travel Request Form

2) How do I maintain my F-1 or J-1 status? Where can I get the most current information about my status?

Please continue to check the updates from the National Association of International Educators

3) Will I be denied re-entry into the United States when I return to Hunter in the future?

One month before you return to the U.S., contact us via e-mail and we'll give you instructions on how to proceed. Our information is based on guidance from CUNY, SEVIS,, CDC,, and You can review the travel updates posted on these websites.

4) What should I do if I have difficulty with remote learning, or am unable to schedule my classes and exams in real time, because there is a significant time difference?

  1. If you're not able to participate in your classes remotely, please contact your professor.
  2. If you have not been able to contact your professor, please send an email to the Hunter College Dean of Students at, and cc our office at
  3. The ISO will continue to evaluate each case carefully before giving students the option to withdraw and maintain an active status. Please read about the new option to choose Credit/No Credit on the CUNY web site, and contact us at

6) Will I still be able to apply for Optional Practical Training or Academic Training after the completion of my studies? How do I apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?

Schedule an appointment with our office to apply for the training that is relevant to your visa status. The ISO will continue to send SEVP updates to you as they occur, to help resolve OPT employment questions. Please email your I-20 or DS2019 form when it has been updated.

7) How do I apply for a Social Security number?

At this time, to apply for a social security number , you will need to make an appointment at your local Social Security Card center. To find the correct address, please see the Social Security Office Locator under "Show Additional Office Information."

9) What can I do if I am running out of food?

  • The Purple Apron Food Pantry is open on our 68th Street Campus for a limited time each week. Before you visit, check the website for hours of operation.
  • In addition, the New York City Department of Education has committed to offering three free meals to any New Yorker. See their website for more information.

10) How can I find out more about the impact of COVID-19 on New York City and the area around New York?

  • For real-time updates, text "COVID" to 692-692. (Message and data rates may apply)
  • Visit the New York City home page, and click on "What You Need to Know. . ."
  • Visit the New York State homepage about the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11) Proclamation Suspending Entry of Aliens Who Present a Risk to the U.S. Labor Market Following the Coronavirus Outbreak.

  • Please click here for more details.

12) Updated SEVP FAQs

  • Please click here for the most recent update regarding SEVP.





contact us

212.772.4864 | f: 212.650.3147
Rooms 1108/1109 East Building, 695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065