Document Actions

Frequently Asked Questions



Request for vendor services or visitors should be sent to theVisitor’s Center( at least 48 hours prior to arriving on campus. Please provide names and email addresses of each visitor. Please visite :

1) Could I lose my F-1 or J-1 status because I left the United States to return home, even if I am still taking my classes remotely?

SEVP has approved online distance learning for F-1 and J-1 students until June 30th 2023, whether students remain in the U.S. or travel overseas. However, you need to complete a Travel Request Form

2) How do I maintain my F-1 or J-1 status? Where can I get the most current information about my status?

Please continue to check the updates from the National Association of International Educators (NAFSA)

3) Will I be denied re-entry into the United States when I return to Hunter in the future?

One month before you return to the U.S., contact us via e-mail and we'll give you instructions on how to proceed.

4)How can i get a job ?

Finding a Job

  • Consult the CUNY list of job openings.
  • Contact Career Development Services at for advice on writing your resume and interviewing
  • Create a profile for yourself with Career Development Services on their CareerHunter jobs listing.
    → Be sure to select your Visa type under the section "Work Authorization".

5) How can I get a Driver License ? please read carefully

6) Will I still be able to apply for Optional Practical Training or Academic Training after the completion of my studies? How do I apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?

Schedule an appointment with our office to apply for the training that is relevant to your visa status. The ISO will continue to send SEVP updates to you as they occur, to help resolve OPT employment questions. Please email your I-20 or DS2019 form when it has been updated.

7) How do I apply for a Social Security number?

If you don’t already have a social security number, follow these steps:

  1. Apply for a job and get hired.
  2. Ask your employer to give you a letter which indicates his/her intent to hire you and describes your position.
  3. Bring or send the letter from your employer to the International Students Office.
  4. You will receive an introductory letter from the International Students Advisor.
  5. Bring or send both letters (described above) to the Social Security Office in your borough of residence. Include your application form, valid passport, I-94 record, SEVIS I-20 form (from Hunter College or a previous school) and your Hunter College transcript.
    Please also see the Social Security Application Information for Non-Citizens, and Application to Create an Account. You can call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 for more information.
  6. Once you receive a receipt for your application for a Social Security number, you may show it to your employer and begin working.

For more information about how to get a Social Security number, please see eeSocial Security Information For F-1 Students.

8) What can I do if I am running out of food?

  • The Purple Apron Food Pantry is open on our 68th Street Campus for a limited time each week. Before you visit, check the website for hours of operation.
  • In addition, the New York City Department of Education has committed to offering three free meals to any New Yorker. See their website for more information.








contact us

212.772.4864 | f: 212.650.3147
Rooms 1108/1109 East Building, 695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065

« June 2024 »
Go to full calendar…