Document Actions



Admission, Registration & Tuition

How can I apply to Hunter College as an undergraduate/graduate student?

Undergraduate students can apply for admission to Hunter College online at the CUNY Admissions page. Graduate students can go to: Our Prospective Students page also provides information about the general admission application process for undergraduate and graduate students.

What is immunization and how can I remove an "immunization stop" to proceed with my registration?

All undergraduate and graduate students admitted to CUNY must show proof that they have been vaccinated against the Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) before they can enter a classroom.  You can remove the "immunization stop" by providing the Hunter College Office of Health Services proof that you have received your vaccinations.

Click on Immunization Form.

Are undergraduate international students required to take a CUNY  placement exam after they have been admitted to Hunter College?

Please review the following link for more information about the CUNY placement exam:

Do I have to attend orientation as a newly admitted undergraduate/graduate student?

New students receive advising through orientation. Undergraduate Students should consult their MyHunter pages and instructions are sent to their Hunter e-mail accounts about Academic Advising Services orientation for new students. Graduate students will need to check with their respective departmental advisors for Academic advice and registration

What can I do if my request for a visa is delayed and I cannot attend any of the orientation meetings?

Contact the International Students Office at to receive any immigration-related information. Graduate students are recommended to contact their departments directly. Click on the following link for a list of academic department and disciplines.

Who can help me choose my classes and register once I become a student?

Students register online according to the registration calendar set out by the Registrar's Office.

Once enrolled undergraduate students have access to advising services to help them meet their academic goals.  From the first year through graduation, students will be invited to participate in specific advising programs.

NOTE: All international students in F-1/J-1 status are also strongly recommended to attend an immigration workshop to understand their immigration responsibilities and learn about the academic support services available to them. 

How many credits must I register for as an international undergraduate or graduate student?

U.S. Immigration regulations require that undergraduate international students register for a minimum of 12 credits per semester in order to maintain their legal status. Graduate students are permitted to register for no less than 9 credits, with written permission from their departments.

What is the required  Grade Point Average(GPA) at Hunter College?

The minimum GPA required at Hunter College is 2.0 for undergraduate studies and 3.0 for graduate students.  To better understand the Hunter College grading system and to calculate your GPA before and after your admission, visit:

Where can I get help if I am experiencing academic difficulties?

Visit for information on how to speak to an academic adviser.  We also strongly recommend that you contact the International Student Office to learn about the other support services available to you as a student in F-1 or J-1 status.

How much is the tuition for international undergraduate and graduate students at Hunter College?

International students are considered "out of state residents" for tuition purposes. The tuition rate for non-residents is calculated based on the number of credits they take each semester.  Visit the Bursar's Office site at: for more info.

Does my tuition payment also cover my housing fees?

Tuition payment does not cover housing fees. An estimate of a student's educational and living expenses for one year is provided in the Certificate of Eligibility (SEVIS I-20) application/information for Undergraduates and Certificate of Eligibility (SEVIS I-20) application/information for Graduates.

Does Hunter College provide health insurance to international students? Is it mandatory? How can I apply?

At the present time, student health insurance is not mandatory for international students in F-1 status. Exchange students in J-1 status, however, are required to have their own health insurance coverage when applying for the visa or status. A list of student health insurance options is provided for informational purposes.

Does Hunter College provide financial aid or loan information to international students?

In general, international students in F-1 and J-1 status are not eligible to apply for financial aid from the schools funded by the U.S. government. However, if you experience difficulty paying your tuition in full at the time of registration, you can enroll in the TuitionPay (SallieMae) Payment Plan offered through the Hunter College Bursar's Office. Visit more information.  Additionally, a list of tuition assistance options for international students is provided for informational purposes only at:  

What is New York State Resident tuition? Can international students apply?

New York State resident tuition rate is the rate that students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents may be eligible to apply for if they meet the requirements established by the college and CUNY. International students in F-1 or J-1 status are not eligible for the in-state tuition rate. For information on which non-immigrant classes are eligible for the CUNY in-state tuition rates, visit the OneStop website.



Visas and Immigration Regulations

What must I do if I want to enter the United States and study at Hunter College as an international student?

First, you must apply to Hunter College for admission and receive an official letter of acceptance. Next, you must request the appropriate visa from the United States embassy or consulate in your country.

How can I apply for an F-1 or J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa from abroad or change my immigration status in the U.S. to an F-1 or J-1?

In order to apply for an F-1 (student visa) or J-1 (exchange visitor), you must first be accepted to Hunter College.  If you are applying for the F-1 visa, you must request the school's SEVIS I-20 form. J-1 visa applicants must request the form DS-2019. To learn if you are eligible to change your immigration status in the United States, please contact the Hunter College International Students Office

By email at or telephone: 212-772-4864.

What is the SEVIS I-901 fee?

All international students who apply for the F-1 or J-1 Exchange Visitor visa to enter the United States for the first time must pay a SEVIS fee to the Immigration Department at least three days before their visa interview.  The fee is used to maintain each student's record in the SEVIS Immigration database. You will need to have a SEVIS I-20 (F-1) or a DS2019 (J-1Exchange Visitor) in order to pay the required fee. Students who want to change their current immigration status to F-1 or J-1 while in the U.S. are strongly recommended to first contact the International Students Office. For more information on this topic, go to or

What is the difference between a visa and immigration status?

The visa is the ink stamp with an expiration date that you will receive in your passport. It allows you to enter  the U.S.  When you arrive at a port of entry in the U.S. you will receive your immigration status which will be stamped on your I-94 card (arrival and departure record).

Your immigration status states whether you have been permitted to enter the U.S. as an F-1 or J-1 student. You must maintain your F-1 or J-1 status valid at all times.


Can I register for a semester of classes at Hunter College on a B-2/B-1 (tourist/business) visa?

The B-2/B-1 (visitor/business) visa is issued to individuals who wish to travel to the U.S. for pleasure or business-related activities. If your plans are to study, you must apply for admission and request an F-1 (student) or J-1 (exchange visitor's) visa in your home country or change your immigration status in the U.S. For more information about these processes contact the International Students Office at

How long can I remain in the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 status after I complete program of study or stop attending classes?

U.S. Immigration regulations allow F-1 students to remain in the country for an additional 60 days after completion of their program of study (last day of final exam) or post-completion OPT (optional practical training).  Students may use this 60 day grace period to prepare for departure, transfer to another school or change immigration status.  J-1 students are allowed a 30-day grace period after completion of their program of study or any academic training. The 30-day grace period may be used to prepare for departure, transfer to another school or change immigration status. 

Does the Hunter College International Students Office extend my SEVIS I-20 or DS 2019 form automatically? 

The Hunter College International Students Office does not automatically extend your SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019.  To extend your stay in the U.S. you must visit the International Student's Office at least one month before your SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 expires.

Can I extend the date or change the visa stamp in my passport in the United States?

You can renew or change the visa stamp in your passport by visiting the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country.  Visit the U.S. Department Of Homeland Security embassy site for more information on the process at  In some cases you may renew your visa in Canada. Email the International Students Office at for more information on this topic.

Where can I get advice and free legal assistance with an immigration problem or concern?

Contact the International Students Office via email at or come during student walk-in hours for information and advice on Immigration regulations and maintaining your legal status in the United States. For free legal assistance, you can visit one of the free CUNY immigration centers. Contact the CUNY Citizenship and Immigration Project for information and locations of the free clinics

What is an H-1B visa?

The H-1B status or visa is a non-immigrant visa category that allows the individual to work temporarily in the U.S. in a specialty occupation.  An individual in H-1B status may only engage in part-time studies that are incidental to his/her primary responsibilities in the United States. 

Can I study on an H-1B?

A person holding H-1B status is not permitted to enroll in a full-time academic program.  Visit our H-1B status link for more information about other requirements of this visa category.



Housing Information

We recomend that any international students interested in living on-campus visit both our Housing FAQs and the Residence Life page.


Employment in the U.S.

Can I work in the college after I have been accepted?

Your immigration status (F-1/J-1) and your educational level (undergraduate/graduate) at Hunter College will determine if you are able to engage in part-time employment soon after your acceptance and enrollment in the college. Visit on the International Students website for information about the eligibility requirements.

What kinds of employment are international students permitted to engage in while studying in the U.S.?

International students in F-1 or J-1 status have a number of employment options in the U.S. available to them. There is on-campus employment, curricular practical training and optional practical training, among others. Go to the section of the International Students Office website for information about these options and the application procedures.

Are international students required to file and pay income tax while they study in the U.S.?

All international students are required to file income tax forms at the end of the year. If employed, students must file and pay income tax, based on their earnings and immigration status.  For more information about tax requirements for international students, contact the  International Students Office via email at or go to

What is employment based on economic hardship?

Employment based on economic hardship is part-time work permitted by U.S. Immigration Services for international students who can demonstrate that they have experienced unforeseen financial difficulties.

What is academic training for J-1 Exchange Visitor holders?

Academic training is part-time employment that may be granted to eligible J-1 students during or after their course of study. Visit our Employment website for more information about academic training and the specific requirements.

What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and how can I apply?

CPT is a form of part-time employment or internship F-1 students are permitted to engage in while they pursue a full course of study. U.S. Immigration regulations specifically state that the training must be directly related to their majors. Click here for more information on the eligibility requirements.

What is OPT (Optional Practical Training) and when can I apply?

OPT is a form of employment or training F-1 students are permitted to engage in during their course of study or upon graduation. U.S. Immigration regulations specifically state that the training must be directly related to their majors. Click here for more information on the eligibility requirements.

 Can I extend my post-completion OPT?

Post-completion OPT is generally approved for 12 months. As per Immigration regulations, it is possible to extend your OPT for an additional 17 months if have earned your degree in a specialized field called, STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics).  For a list of STEM degrees, visit the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website at:

What are my immigration options when my post-completion OPT ends?

As per U.S. Immigration regulations, F-1 students allowed 60 days of grace period after their post-completion OPT ends.  Students may use this 60-day grace period to depart from the United States, enroll in another academic program or change to another immigration status, if eligible. Contact the International Students Office via email at or stop by during walk-in hours if you have specific questions about your OPT status.



Additional ISO Services

Do I need to request an appointment to speak with a Hunter College International Student Adviser?

You may visit the International Students Office during the student walk-in hours listed on our website. To make an appointment to speak with one of the international student advisers, please refer to the International Students Office contact information.

How can I meet other international students at Hunter College?

The Hunter College Office of Student Activities provides many opportunities for you to meet other international students by participating in events on campus or joining student clubs. For more information, go to: Additionally, One-To-World is a non-profit organization that sponsors many educational and cultural events for international students. For more information or to become a member, go to:

Can the International Students Office help me open a bank account while I study at Hunter College?

The International Students Office can provide you with a school enrollment letter and additional information about the requirements for opening a bank account in the U.S.

How can I apply for a social security card or driver's license?

Click here to learn about the requirements and the steps you must follow in order to apply for a social security card for F-1 students and here for J-1 students. Visit the DMV website for information about New York State driver's licence and click here for information about applying for a New Jersey driver's license.

What student activities or events does the International Students Office organize for international students?

The International Students Office organizes information workshops and events each semester on a variety of topics. Check regularly on the student EVENTS and NEWS sections on our site for updates on upcoming events and the latest immigration news.

Where can I report a change of address?

You can report or submit a form for change of address to the Hunter College Registrars Office and also complete this form for the International Students Office within 10 days of your move.

How do I receive immigration updates and/or a listing of International Students events and topical workshops?

You can subscribe to our new International Students Listserv. The listserv will enable the International Students Office to email all international students who subscribe to the service. Subscribing is an excellent way to keep yourself well-informed and it only takes 1 minute to sign up! To subscribe, send an email using the example that follows next.

Subject:                       SUBSCRIBE

Body of email:           SUBSCRIBE INTERNATIONAL-L John Smith

What is the best way to commute to Hunter College?

Public transportation is available to the Hunter College campus on 68th Street and Lexington Avenue. For daily commuting to the campus by public transportation students are recommended to purchase monthly unlimited metro cards ($112 for 30 days).  Visit to view a map of Hunter College and get directions to the different campus locations.





contact us

212.772.4864 | f: 212.650.3147
Rooms 1108/1109 East Building, 695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065

« February 2020 »
Go to full calendar…