Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Continuing Education About Us Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is my class?

In general, computer classes and weekend classes take place on our Main Campus located at 68th St. and Lexington Avenue. Evening classes take place at our Campus School at 71 E. 94th St. Your registration receipt includes your official class schedule. This schedule confirms your registration, and indicates your course meeting days, times, and classroom location(s) if they have been assigned. Please carry this to your first class as proof of registration. If your classroom location has not yet been assigned, please contact 212-650-3850 (Mon-Fri, 9am–5pm) the day before classes start.


Am I required to have a Hunter College ID to attend classes at Continuing Education? How can I get my Student ID?

Yes, you must have a Hunter College ID to access Hunter College facilites. You may obtain a Student ID 48 business hours after you have registered for a class/certificate program by visiting the West Building, Room 203. Please bring your registration statement with you.


What are the policies and procedures for class changes and cancellations?

Circumstances sometimes necessitate a change to courses and schedules. For complete information concerning changes (including adding courses, withdrawals, and refunds), please check our website or call the office. Occasionally, a class session may be cancelled due to an unforeseen emergency or instructor's illness. In this case, make-up classes are scheduled by the instructor.


Hunter reserves the right to cancel classes, change rooms, locations, alter times, dates, instructors and/or tuition without prior notification if necessary. We regret any inconvenience this may cause and will make every attempt to accommodate students. 


What is the policy for dropping a class?

A class can be dropped only before the start date of the class. Upon dropping a class after the first class meeting, the student will automatically fail and be assigned an 'F' in the class. In this case, certificate program students have the opportunity to use their retake benefit policy, which allows them to repeat one class at no additional cost. If the class is failed again, full tuition of the class, minus 10%, will have to be paid by the student. With a repeated class, only the highest grade is recorded.


How long does it take to process a refund?

There are no refunds once the course has begun.  Credit card refunds are credited back to the card used to register for the course within 7 business days. Check/money order registrations will be refunded via a check mailed 4-6 weeks after cancelled registration.


Can I get a Letter of Completion, Transcript or a Certificate?

Yes. Upon completion of your class or certificate program, you can get a certificate, letter of completion or transcript. Please contact the office at 212-650-3850 to request them.


How can I find out about upcoming new classes, events, and seminars?

For any new courses, events or seminars, please check our website or call the office for specific information at 212-650-3850, Mon–Fri, 9am-5pm.


Can you earn college credits by taking Continuing Education courses?

No, these classes are not for credit. However, we do offer non-credit Certificate Programs.


Is financial aid available?

Financial aid is not available. However, we do have payment plans available for Certificate Programs. We also offer company scholarships certain times of the year. A link to scholarship applications is listed under the 'announcements' section of our website when scholarships are being offered.


Do I have to pay a registration fee each time I register for a course?

No, there is only one fee per semester and Certificate Programs are only paid once for the duration of the program.


Can I get a discount if I am a senior, Hunter Employee, CUNY employee, veteran etc.?

Yes, check our website for our discount policy.


Do I need a book and if so, where can I buy it?

Most of the CE classes do not require a textbook. However, if there is any required text, this will be indicated on your receipt or on the web. Our front office can provide information regarding where to buy the book or if the book will be provided.


What type of documents are provided?

Transcripts and Completion Letters are available one copy per semester, upon written request, at no charge.

For certificate programs, a Diploma plus a Transcript and a Completion Letter will be provided upon written request. Duplicates are available at $10/a set.

These documents are only valid with a Director's signature and a seal.


What is the minimum passing grade?

To pass a class, a minimum grade of 'C' is required, (except for the Translation/Interpretation Certificate, in which the minimum passing grade is 'B') and you must have attended 80% of the classes. If you are unable to come to class, please inform your instructor and arrange with your instructor or classmate to get material that was covered on the missing date.


How do I check my grades?

In order to check your grades, please go the main CE website. Click on "Student Log-in" under Quicklinks, and use your Username and Password to access your account. The grades should be available 5 days after your class has finished.


What is the policy for prerequisite classes?

For classes with prerequisites, students can register only once the passing grade has been submitted by the instructor. If a prerequisite is failed, the student will not be permitted into class until its prerequisite has been successfully completed.


Do you accommodate students with Disabilities?

If you wish to inquire about disability services, please contact Cristian Gallardo at (212) 772-4247 to discuss your individual needs. Requests for accommodations must be accompanied by documentation of disability. Please submit requests and documentation four (4) weeks in advance of class start date to ensure that reasonable accommodation requests can be processed in a timely manner. Download the disability form.


Why are non-credit courses not reported on the 1098-T form?

The IRS requires educational institutions to report amounts billed for credit courses only. It does not allow us to report non-credit courses. We can only issue the statement. Please consult your tax advisor or IRS Publication 970 to see if you can claim tuition and related expenses not reported on your IRS Form 1098-T.


Where do I find Weather and Emergency Information?

Because of its central location and easy access to public transportation, Hunter College can generally operate without incident when there is inclement weather. However, should severe weather occur, the College will monitor conditions and will seek direction from the CUNY Central Administration to determine if it is necessary to cancel classes or close the school.

Continuing Education Programs at Hunter College cancels for weather related emergencies only if Hunter is closed.  Hunter College Campus Schools on 94th street is closed when the New York City Public School system is closed for an emergency. For up-to-date information about emergency closings, visit our webpage where an emergency alert will be posted, or listen to 1010 WINS or WCBS 880.
Document Actions
« May 2024 »
Go to full calendar…
Continuing Education website feedback:
Continuing Education at Hunter College, E1022, 695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065
(212) 650-3850 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065