Office: 1718A HW
Areas of Specialization:
- International Relations
- Causes and Termination of War
- Terrorism and Counter-terrorism
- POLSC 274: American Foreign Policy
- POLSC 283: Terrorism
- POLSC 382: Causes of War
- POLSC 384 Comparative Foreign Policy
- POLSC 493: Conducting and Presenting Political Science Research
Ph.D. Columbia University, 2006
M.Phil Columbia University, 2003
M.A. Columbia University, 2001
B.A. University of Michigan, 1999
- Joining the Fray: Military Intervention in Civil Wars. 2012. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate.
- Is This a Private Fight or Can Anybody Join? The Spread of Interstate War. 2009. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate.
Articles and Book Chapters:
- "No: International organizations are limited in their ability to combat terrorism", 2013. In Debating Terrorism and Counterterrorism, 2nd Ed., Stuart Gottlieb ed. Washington, DC: CQ Press. pp. 279-291.
- "When and How Many: The Effects of Third Party Joining on Casualties and Duration in Interstate Wars" 2012. Journal of Peace Research 49(2): 321-334.
- Savic, Ivan, and Zachary C. Shirkey. 2009. “Trust in the Balance: The Role of Commitment Problems in Shaping External Balancing Behavior,” Journal of Theoretical Politics 21(4): 483-507.
- “No: The UN is limited in its ability to play a role,” 2009. In Debating Terrorism and Counterterrorism, Stuart Gottlieb, ed. Washington, DC: CQ Press. pp. 275–287.
- "Commitment Problems as a Cause of War Severity", 2014. International Studies Review 16(1): 136-38.
- "American Can't Escape the Middle East", 2013. The National Interest. online edition. 29 July 2013.
- Review Article: “Review of Dan Reiter’s How Wars End,” 2012. H-Diplo/ISSF Roundtable Reviews 3(19): 15–19.
- Shirkey, Zachary C., and Alex Weisiger, 2007. “An Annotated Bibliography for the Correlates of War Interstate Wars,” Availible on the Correlates of War Website.