Office: 1718A HW
Ph.D. Columbia University, 2006
M.Phil Columbia University, 2003
M.A. Columbia University, 2001
B.A. University of Michigan, 1999
Areas of Specialization:
War Duration and Causes of War
Terrorism and Counterterrorism
- POLSC 274: American Foreign Policy
- POLSC 283: Terrorism
- POLSC 375: International Law
- POLSC 382: Causes of War
- POLSC 384 Comparative Foreign Policy
- POLSC 493: Conducting and Presenting Political Science Research
- Savic, Ivan and Zachary C. Shirkey. Under Contract. State Responses to Threat in the Face of Uncertainty. (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate).
- Joining the Fray: Military Intervention in Civil Wars. 2012. (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate).
- Is This a Private Fight or Can Anybody Join? The Spread of Interstate War. 2009. (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate).
- "Uncertainty and War Duration." Forthcoming. International Studies Review.
- "When and How Many: The Effects of Third Party Joining on Casualties and Duration in Interstate Wars" 2012. Journal of Peace Research 49(2): 321-334.
- Savic, Ivan, and Zachary C. Shirkey. 2009. “Trust in the Balance: The Role of Commitment Problems in Shaping External Balancing Behavior,” Journal of Theoretical Politics 21(4): 483-507.
- "No: International organizations are limited in their ability to combat terrorism", 2013. In Debating Terrorism and Counterterrorism, 2nd Ed., Stuart Gottlieb ed. Washington, DC: CQ Press: 279-291.
- “No: The UN is limited in its ability to play a role,” 2009. In Debating Terrorism and Counterterrorism, 1st Ed., Stuart Gottlieb, ed. Washington, DC: CQ Press: 275–287.
Book Reviews and Online Publications:
- "Commitment Problems as a Cause of War Severity", 2014. International Studies Review 16(1): 136-38.
- "A Better Way To Combat Terrorism", 2014. The National Interest. 21 August.
- "America Can't Escape the Middle East", 2013. The National Interest. 29 July.
- “Review of Dan Reiter’s How Wars End,” 2012. H-Diplo/ISSF Roundtable Reviews 3(19): 15–19.
- Shirkey, Zachary C., and Alex Weisiger, 2007. “An Annotated Bibliography for the Correlates of War Interstate Wars."
Some of the above works are available in the open access CUNY Academic Works repository.
- Joining by Number: Military Intervention in Civil Wars.
- Which Wars Spread? Commitment Problems and Military Intervention.
- Michael Lee and Zachary C. Shirkey. "Going Beyond the Existing Consensus: The Use of Games in International Relations Education."
- Unexpected Events in Interstate Wars Data Set:
COW Interstate Wars Data Set
Citation: Shirkey, Zachary C. 2009. Is This a Private Fight or Can Anybody Join? The Spread of Interstate War (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate).
- Unexpected Events in Civil Wars Data Sets:
COW Civil Wars Data Set
PRIO Civil Wars Data Set
Citation: Shirkey, Zachary C. 2015. "Joining by Number: Military Intervention in Civil Wars" Working Paper. Hunter College, CUNY.