Office: 1718A HW
Areas of Specialization:
- International Relations
- War Duration and Causes of War
- Military Intervention
- Terrorism and Counter-terrorism
- POLSC 274: American Foreign Policy
- POLSC 283: Terrorism
- POLSC 382: Causes of War
- POLSC 384 Comparative Foreign Policy
- POLSC 493: Conducting and Presenting Political Science Research
Ph.D. Columbia University, 2006
M.Phil Columbia University, 2003
M.A. Columbia University, 2001
B.A. University of Michigan, 1999
- Joining the Fray: Military Intervention in Civil Wars. 2012. (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate).
- Is This a Private Fight or Can Anybody Join? The Spread of Interstate War. 2009. (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate).
- "When and How Many: The Effects of Third Party Joining on Casualties and Duration in Interstate Wars" 2012. Journal of Peace Research 49(2): 321-334.
- Savic, Ivan, and Zachary C. Shirkey. 2009. “Trust in the Balance: The Role of Commitment Problems in Shaping External Balancing Behavior,” Journal of Theoretical Politics 21(4): 483-507.
- "No: International organizations are limited in their ability to combat terrorism", 2013. In Debating Terrorism and Counterterrorism, 2nd Ed., Stuart Gottlieb ed. Washington, DC: CQ Press. pp. 279-291.
- “No: The UN is limited in its ability to play a role,” 2009. In Debating Terrorism and Counterterrorism, Stuart Gottlieb, ed. Washington, DC: CQ Press. pp. 275–287.
Book Reviews and Online Publications:
- "Commitment Problems as a Cause of War Severity", 2014. International Studies Review 16(1): 136-38.
- "A Better Way To Combat Terrorism", 2014. The National Interest. 21 August.
- "America Can't Escape the Middle East", 2013. The National Interest. 29 July.
- Review Article: “Review of Dan Reiter’s How Wars End,” 2012. H-Diplo/ISSF Roundtable Reviews 3(19): 15–19.
- Shirkey, Zachary C., and Alex Weisiger, 2007. “An Annotated Bibliography for the Correlates of War Interstate Wars,” Availible on the Correlates of War Website.
Some of the above works are available in the open access CUNY Academic Works repository
- Walking the Balance Beam: State Responses to Threat in the Face of Uncertainty
- Joining by Number: Military Intervention in Civil Wars
- Uncertainty and War Duration
- Commitment Problems, War Initiation, and the Spread of Interstate War
- Unexpected Events in Interstate Wars Dataset
If you use this data, please add the following citation to your reference list:
Shirkey, Zachary. 2009. Is This a Private Fight or Can Anybody Join? The Spread of Interstate War (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate).