Information for Prospective Post-Baccalaureate Students
The Fall 2012 application cycle is now closed. Please check back next October for information regarding the Fall 2013 application process.
- Students are only admitted in the Fall semester. (No Spring Admissions)
- The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program is for students pursuing careers in medicine, dentistry, optometry, osteopathy, veterinary medicine, and podiatry. The program is **not **for students interested in pharmacy, physician assistant studies, physical therapy, speech pathology, occupational therapy or nursing.
- Only students who have already received a baccalaureate degree will be considered for admission to the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program at Hunter College. Students with undergraduate degrees still in progress are not eligible to apply.
- Please make special note of the program requirements listed at the bottom of this page. Applicants who will not need to complete at least 38 credits in science at Hunter will not be admitted to the program.
Applicants to Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program fall into two
(The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program does not accept students in the Spring semester. Admissions is Fall semester only.)
- Preparatory: Students with less than 15 credits in science in preparation for entry to health professions schools. Students in the preparatory track must demonstrate commitment to a health professions career either through health care experience or volunteer work prior to applying to the program.
- Enrichment: Students with existing science backgrounds who are in need of further science preparation, improvement of science performance (due to low grades or credits more than 10 years old) before applying to health professions schools.
Duration of Program: Students can expect to complete their requirements in 2 to 3 years. Students will be advised by the Health Professions Advisor on the best schedule to meet their individual needs.
Academic Requirements: Applicants must have received an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with a minimum overall 3.0 GPA. An undergraduate degree must be completed at time of application. Applications for students with degrees in progress will not be accepted.
To complete the program and receive the certificate all Post-
Baccalaureate Certificate students must:
- Complete a year of college level English. This requirement can be fulfilled by undergraduate transfer credit and/or by taking courses at Hunter.
- Complete one year of Mathematics BEYOND Pre-Calculus. This requirement can be fulfilled by undergraduate transfer credit and/or by taking courses at Hunter. There are two ways to fulfill this requirement at Hunter:
- MTH 150 (Calculus) and MTH 155 (Calculus II)
- MTH 150 (Calculus) and STAT 213 (STAT 113 does not fulfill this requirement)
- Complete 38 credits in science courses* (Biology, Physics & Chemistry) *at Hunter College within 36 months.
- Maintain a 3.3 GPA for every semester in the program with no individual course grade below a B-.
- Provide 56 hours of service to the Hunter College Community during your time in the program.
- Obtain a Committee Letter (Physical Therapy students do not receive Committee Letters)
Students who were admitted to the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program prior to the Fall of 2010 MUST meet with a Pre-Health advisor to evaluate their eligibility for the certificate.
Please see the Hunter College Admissions website for more information regarding admission to Hunter College (not the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate program): http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/admissions/