Getting Started Guide
Welcome to the Hunter WebCMS!
This Getting Started Guide will introduce you to some of the basic features of the Hunter WebCMS and help you begin development on your new website.
Note: This guide assumes that you or someone else in your department has already completed the Subsite Request Form and that your subsite has already been created.
First, we suggest you read through the following FAQs to get a general idea of what the WebCMS is and how the web development process works:
- What is a CMS? What is the Hunter WebCMS?
- What is a subsite?
- How can my department/office/organization get a website?
- How do I create and launch a new website in the WebCMS? What is the process?
- How do I log in to my website?
Before beginning to actually work on your subsite, you must attend a CMS Orientation Session in the Technology Resource Center (TRC). If you'll be working on a new website, you should also schedule a site planning meeting with someone in the Communications Office or the Web Development Group.
After going through training and developing a site plan, staff managers should decide on a workflow process with other members of their departmental web team. If only one person will be working on your subsite, the workflow process is easy: that person will be the editor, reviewer and publisher. However, if multiple people will be contributing to your site, a more detailed process should be discussed.
- What is the workflow process?
- What are the different publishing states?
- What are roles?
- How do I add a new user to the CMS? How do I assign roles? (Staff Managers Only)
You are now ready to begin developing your website! The following FAQs and tutorials should help you get started.
- What are my theme options?
- How do I set a theme for my subsite?
- What do the different tabs mean in the administrative interface?
- What is a portlet? What are the different kinds of portlets?
- What are the different content types?
- What is the pressroom and how do I use it?
- What is the repository and how do I use it?
- How do I create a new page?
- How do I create a new folder?
- How do I format text on a page?
- How do I edit a page?
- How do I link to another page within the WebCMS?
- How do I link to another page outside of the WebCMS?
- How do I link to an email address?
- How do I upload an image?
- How do I add an image to a page?
- How do I upload a file?
- How do I link to a file?
As you continue to work on your site, keep in mind that your content should conform to the standards outlined in the Hunter College Style Guide.
If at any time you have a question about our tutorials or want to work on your site with the assistance of a WebCMS expert, we suggest you attend a CMS Hands-On Workshop in the TRC.
Still have questions? Contact us via email or phone.