Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Communication Sciences FAQs Accreditation, Certification, Licensure

Accreditation, Certification, Licensure

What is "accreditation"?

The term accreditation refers to an organization's status relative to its satisfying professional measures of a scrutinizing agency. Specific to Hunter College's graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology, we hold accreditation that is current from 2018-2026 as granted by ASHA's Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA). We anticipate out next site visit will be at the end of our current cycle in 2026. If you would like to verify our accreditation status, click here: CUNY, Hunter College.

What is "professional licensure"?

Every state has its own laws regulating how professionals work called licensure or registration. These statutes are invoked to protect its citizens and professionals must meet specific requirements when applying to work in any state. Working in any state without a license based there, usually constitutes a violation of law and ethics, with some type of penalty being leveed against the violator.

What is certification?

Professional organizations often choose to set a national standard of practice to which every member is held. Speech-Language Pathologists may apply for ASHA certification as it is a voluntary, nationally recognized credential. Because certification is voluntary, there are no penalties for professionals who do not obtain it.

When I graduate, will I get a license and certification?

After successfully completing the requirements to earn a master's degree in Speech-Language Pathology, you will be able to look for a job and then apply for a license in the state in which you work, and, ASHA certification. Before ASHA and the state offer you the appropriate credentials, you must first pass the PRAXIS examination and complete a 9-month post-graduate clinical fellowship year (CFY). See the FAQ on TSSLD for information about New York State teacher certification which is required to work in schools.

Document Actions
Communication Sciences website feedback:
425 East 25th Street Room 900
(212) 481-4467 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065