Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Communication Sciences FAQs TSSLD


What is the TSSLD?

The certificate, Teacher of Students with Speech and Language Disabilities (TSSLD) is required by New York State (NYS) for speech-language pathologists wishing to work with school-aged children in a school setting. The certificate is also necessary for individuals working in facilities receiving funding from the Department of Education.

To earn this certification, do I take extra courses?

The Speech Language Pathology MS curriculum is embedded with all coursework and externships necessary to finalize New York State teacher certification after graduation.

I am moving out of state after graduation. Will my teacher certification be transferable?

The MS degree curriculum is designed to meet New York State teacher requirements. Check with the Department of Education of the state you are moving to, in order to see their requirements. If another state has teacher certification requirements, the Department's curriculum will have you well-prepared.  

Am I required to take these courses even if I want to work in a hospital?

First, there are some hospitals that require their speech-language pathologists hold the TSSLD because they may receive NYS funds for special children's programs. It's also advisable to keep your professional options open. Students are not required to apply for the certification after graduation, however, the curriculum is embedded with the necessary NYS courses; students cannot opt out of them. 

How do I find out more about New York State Teacher Certification?

Requirements for the TSSLD are outlined by the New York State Education Department's Office of Teaching Initiatives

Document Actions
Communication Sciences website feedback:
425 East 25th Street Room 900
(212) 481-4467 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065